The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been diagnosed with type II. My A1C is 7.8 as of November. Since then I've lost 10 lbs, taking 500mg Medformin and exercising regularly. Still confused with blood sugar testing. It has been pretty good, but occasionally low during the day, usually the two hours after lunch. Does that mean I'm not eating enough carbs at lunch? Thanks

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome Pat - good to meet you. Looks like you're off to a good start.

As far as going low - exactly how low are you going? I would think anything over 80 and under 130 is fine. What kind of diet are you eating?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Pat - good to meet you. Looks like you're off to a good start.

As far as going low - exactly how low are you going? I would think anything over 80 and under 130 is fine. What kind of diet are you eating?
Hi Shanny, it is always within that range, but when I attended the classes they told me that two hours after you eat it should be between 140-180. I am trying to count carbs and eat low-fat.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
In my opinion, you're managing extremely well, and I wouldn't change a thing - let ALONE add more carbs! I would disagree with being over 140 at the 2-hour test, but then the ADA isn't asking me, are they?
Studies have shown that glucose levels over 140 can begin to cause damage to vital organs and I really want my eyes, my kidneys, etc., to last as long as the rest of me!

I eat lower carb also, but I don't reduce fat in my diet, because fats slow the absorption of carbs. For diabetics, the carbs are what raises cain with our bg, and fats are what can help us reduce that threat. Fats also help with the satiety factor - making me feel full & satiated.

I've lost about 25-30 lbs. since diagnosis, and am still losing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again! But if I don't lower my fats how do I lose weight? How did you lose your weight? I have joined a gym and someone told me that medformin helps you lose weight?:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts