The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have T1, fifty-five years, been a mixed bag, half poor control, the rest okay. Complications? Divided between self-inflicted and inevitable.
Eyes and nerves, me, cardiovascular disease, the inevitable dude.
Single and retired, have two adult children and three grandchildren, will be a great granddad this year.
Looking forward to being a part of Diabetes Forum

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, 9LAL! :welcome:

You'll find lots of info, support and the best kind of nosiness here.

With good control, complications are not inevitable. Got complications already? With good control, complications may be halted in their tracks -- and/or improve.

So. Let's get on with the nosiness:

-- Are you on any meds?
-- Do you have an eating plan?
-- What are your glucose levels?

Your answers will help us to help you!

Others will probably chime in soon. In the meantime, here are 2 links on diabetes and food that you may find helpful:

Please read a lot, post a lot and ... most of all ... ask lots of questions!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Welcome 9LAL!

Please do tell us a lot more about yourself and your diabetes. The more we share, the more we all learn.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi there 9LAL, and welcome to the forum!

You've been given a couple of links that will be invaluable to you to get your bg under good control. Please do spend some time reading them. Another good one is Dr Richard K. Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution much of it can be read online. He is a T1, for 60+ years, with excellent control. Many of his suggestions work perfectly for T2's also. It was one of the first diabetes books I purchased after diagnosis.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The missing file.

Hello again. More than a bit dumb not including the main item, a senior moment?
Age 67
Height 1.7 meters (5.8 feet).
Weight 66kg (145.5 pounds), Birthday suit.

Control three Humalog of 6-7 units Breakfast and Lunch 60-70 grams (2.1-2.4 ounce) Carbs:(Not low).
Dinner is 120 grams (4.2 ounce) Lantus 10 units

BG tends to swing between low, 4 mmols 72 mg and under or elevated 10 -13 mmol 180mg to high 15mmols 270mg
Madication for Angina and Collestrial daily.
Diltiazem 180mg. Metoprolol 47mg. Isosorbide Mono 60mg. Half an Asprin. Half a Astrovstatin (Lipptor), with dinner.

I understand the swing is a skinny thing, but I don't mind this weight and I as I have never known anything else it is of no concern.
I am not yet a follower of the low carb: way and this I will look at, but high fat be it saturated or not is not something I would return to, having already given it 25 years, sure, it was saturated, but since 1999 I have cut the fat, all types to a minimum.

The inevitable dude, Cardiovascular, Angina for me, was was going to show up due to the way it was in the late fifties and sixties in this land, namely, treatment, diet, person. I didn't seem 'im until I made 54, but from 40 was common and I sure contributed to this and it hasn't changed much heart is still the biggest killer.
I have read Dr Richard K. Bernstein's original book, but I am not interested in living on two long acting shots of anything again and I can't see ever see me leaving fast acting insulin.

BG level has little pattern, there is never two the same and as long as they are in the range 8 -10 mmols (144-180mg) I am happy.
ABa1c is 6.5% (47mmols) it does tend to lower, 6% (43mmols) with seasonal changes and I have only ever met one other person who sees this. From a BG point of view, it only lasts a few days, they will settle around to 4mmols 72mg moving up and down a few points and not taking a shot is the only way it will change dramatically, they then reverse and hit the 15mmols 270mg with the same up and down and then come back to the usual.

I would be interested to know if body mass (weight) has an influence in ABa1c levels, eg: can anyone make 7% 53mmols, I assume they can. HOW?

God Bless.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Weight/BMI may have an influence ... or not. Vague, I know. We come in all sizes and metabolisms; weight or BMI loss/gain seems to affect each of us differently.

Otherwise ... well ... frankly, I have no idea how to help you. The things that work for me, and for most of us around here, are things you've said you don't want to do.

I must note that organ and nerve damage begins at levels over 140. Getting the glucose down can halt the progress of complications -- and can often relieve (and may even reverse) the symptoms.

If you grow tired of roller-coaster highs and lows, and if you're willing to try something new ... please check out the links given above.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
With the amount of carbs you are eating, you will be a self fulfilling prophecy for the medical community. You will require more and more meds and will suffer complications that could be so easily avoided by changing the way you eat. Could you see yourself giving lc/hf a try for say a month or 6 weeks? It really does work to lower bg #s. And it will straighten out your cholesterol too after a bit. Truly! Can you just give it a try?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
9LAL, I hope you spend time here reading and sharing experiences. This is a great place to expand knowledge.

Congratulations on the up-coming Great Grand-Parenthood!

Reactions: Toni

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello and welcome to this forum! I hope you will consider trying the LCHF way of eating. I have a struggle calling it a diet because as silly as it may sound I want nothing to do with a way of life starting with the word DIE in it. I am struggling with high numbers and this program has helped me more than any single step i've taken so far. The other great step was joining this forum. These people are helpful, nosy (in the BEST way) and super friendly. I hope you will put your feet up and consider some of their suggestions... Once again WELCOME.

Sincerely,Toni

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Around here, we call it a "way of eating (WoE)." Diets are both short-term and failure-prone.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello 9LAL, welcome! Shalynne has given you very good advice. I'm sure you know about the complications that can happen when you have poor control for many years. Your A1c is good, but the roller coaster type of control you are experiencing can lead to serious complications even though you have that good A1c. Complications can usually be reversed when good control with fewer highs and lows is established.

Reactions: Shalynne

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank to all.

Greetings and thank you for your responses, to the point.

Shalynne, I will look at the links, thanks. Off line at the moment, doing this at the library. The reason I want to know if there is any relationship with A1c and BM is I lost my driving license because of the number of lows over a month, no more than 3 allowed. I have corrected this and would now like to get it back, I also have to make 7% (53mmols), and I cannot see how to do this and keep the BG in control as this would need to rise?.

grammaB, No, I could not try it for even 6 weeks at this stage, especially the h/f content, but will look to see how much is saturated to begin with and other than greens, I know little about low carb food.

gotsomeold, Nothing better than exchanging views, even being individually specific to this condition. Err! The great grand.... would have preferred for mum to have waited a few more years, see some of life.

My BG averages I didn't think to include, currently,
7 days 7.6
14 days 7.8
30 days 7.1
90 days 7.6
Colesterial 4.7

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Here in California, a driver's license can be yanked permanently for one low that results in unconsciousness -- even if you're nowhere near a car at the time!

9LAL ... is a 7.0 required at all times? Do you have to get all future A1cs taken at intervals and reported?

If we know a little bit more about the requirements, there may (no guarantees) be a safe and glucose-healthy workaround.

Whatever the case may be ... getting off the roller-coaster is the first step.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi 9LAL,
Are you afraid of the high fat part of the eating plan because of existing high lipid levels?

No Toni, but having spent 25 years on a h/f diet and ending up with a blocked left side heart needing it cleared out. The right side was 60% blocked in 1999 when this came up and is still that and more no doubt these days, didn't have enough points back then to get it done along with the left side no thanks again.

Shalynne, It is usually three over 12 months to loose it, but if you have regular lows then it will be canned, the Endo: I am seeing for this allows no more than three a month and requires a minimum of 7. a1c is checked every three months prior to getting a new script. Getting off the roller coaster is not an issue love, I have no intention getting back on for now until I have looked at the data you provided, need to get back on line to do this.

Thanks to you both.
Cheers

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Are you at all interested in learning that it was not dietary fats which clogged your arteries? Because you are going by years of bad science and manipulated research when you make such statements as 'No, I could not try it for even 6 weeks at this stage, especially the h/f content'.

None of the bad fats propaganda was EVER true, and evidence is mounting every day that proves the fallacy of it. From Australia to India to Sweden and far beyond, trustworthy experts have recognized the truth and are ending the campaign of lies.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts