The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I am a parent to an 18 month old who was newly diagnosed at the end of May. So we are definitely still in the "learning" phase. Well I'm in a desparate need for some help. I work out of the home and I am gone from 6:00 am to 5:30 pm. I am a homebody and can't wait to see both my daughters and spend some quality time. When I'm not at work, I'm with my girls. Lately, though, when I get home the 18 month old starts scream crying when she sees me and then proceeds to hit, bite, kick and scratch at me. It really hurts not only physically but mentally. Sometimes I have to "hold" her down or bar her from me with her pillow pet and it takes about an hourfor her to finally become distracted enough to stop. Then she gives me plenty of hugs and kisses. The first thing I do is check her sugar and normally it's in the 185 range (which we're shooting for anything with a 1 in front of it (100 - 199)) We do have some teething issues at this age which you usually can tell b/c she smacks at her cheeks.
But is this normal? What is she feeling (any pain, pins and needles)? And any suggestions. Why is it directed towards me?
Please, any insight would be awesome.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You are gone for nearly twelve hours on workdays. Your child is newly diabetic and you've had to cede responsibility for taking blood sugar readings and injecting insulin into your toddler to a caregiver. She is STRESSED and her liferaft is not available most of the day. It sounds to me like she's expressing a lot of rage.

As for what to do about it, I don't know. She needs you during the day and evidently your circumstances won't allow that. Are your parents nearby? Maybe being with a familiar family member would help. A difficult situation, for sure. Can you cut back your work hours, at least temporarily?

Jen

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
FMLA might apply in this situation -- see if her Ped will approve it.

I adopted 3 kids while working fulltime, and they were in a day care center.

It was harder on me than on them. Perhaps because they were used to institutional settings ... (2 were in orphanages, in other countries)?

But my reaction is, no, that is normal. She does indeed sound very angry!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree w/ the others that that does not sound like normal behavior. I have three little ones myself and believe me, they throw fits! (well, 2 of them do) The difference is this sounds like the rage is directed towards you. I tend to agree with Jen, that she needs you with her, and is expressing that...loudly! You are in a terribly hard place and I wish I could offer you some help! On the physical side...when my blood sugar is in that range and higher, I do get really angry. This is my first symptom. Also, I get headaches and nausea w/ high blood sugars. So, it's possible that is the problem, but the fact it's directed towards you makes me think that it's emotional as well.

Praying for you...that's a tough situation! :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your prayers. I wish I was able to stay with her more but financially it's impossible. It's funny how even though Daddy is the same way, she never acts that way with him.Maybe b/c men are more reserve and you take what you can get. My husband and I just figured out a way for me to talk to her through a web cam during the work day, so hopefully that will help. Thank you for your posts. For Rachel, when you get angry, what helps you calm down. I hate to think how many times we will ask this little girl, "did you take your sugar" She is going to grow up and cure it, though :) !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
For Rachel, when you get angry, what helps you calm down. I hate to think how many times we will ask this little girl, "did you take your sugar" She is going to grow up and cure it, though :) !!
Well, really what helps the most is when my blood sugar comes down. With normalized blood sugars, rational thinking returns. Sometimes I don't even notice that I'm high until I respond/react a certain way and then I think...hmmmm, I better check myself. If I need some time to mellow out, then I will do that. Also, just being aware of it helps and I try not to let it show with my kids. My husband told me once that my daughter metioned to him that "when mommy's blood sugar is high, she gets angry". It really was the good, healthy slap in the face I needed to get my blood sugar under control as much as I could. My mom's mom was diabetic and she (my mom) remembers her mom's behavior being completely irrational a lot of the time. I'm hoping NOT to create the same memories for my kids.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't have kids so take this for what it is worth. Are you the one who administers the shots and finger pricks? It could be a reaction to being afraid of the pain? I sure hope you get it figured out. You will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
There are few, if any, members here with very young diabetic children. There is another diabetes site that is ideal for you. It was created for parents of diabetic children. Here is the link:

children with DIABETES Online Community

I have been type 1 for 65 years. Your child can have a long, healthy life if good control is eventually established and she does a good job taking care of herself in the future. Good luck to both of you

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts