The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are David and Chrissie and obviously new here..LOL! David has diabetes and we are experimenting currently in foods and such off of the base classes they gave us...We have noticed ALOT has to do with experimentation. My husband is not alone int he fact his father and sister also have it, and so he is not alone int he transition I gave up everything hes had too and eat as he does. Together we have 4 kids, a dog, 2 cockatiels, 2 finches, 2 turtles and 2 beta fish! LOL! So we are quite busy. We are looking to learn more and talk with others who are also learning to live within diabetic means. We look forward to looking around and meeting everyone, and setting up our page once they let us! LOL!) So hi all! ;)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
We are David and Chrissie and obviously new here..LOL! David has diabetes and we are experimenting currently in foods and such off of the base classes they gave us...We have noticed ALOT has to do with experimentation. My husband is not alone int he fact his father and sister also have it, and so he is not alone int he transition I gave up everything hes had too and eat as he does. Together we have 4 kids, a dog, 2 cockatiels, 2 finches, 2 turtles and 2 beta fish! LOL! So we are quite busy. We are looking to learn more and talk with others who are also learning to live within diabetic means. We look forward to looking around and meeting everyone, and setting up our page once they let us! LOL!) So hi all! ;)
Welcome David & Chrissie! There is a wealth of information on here in regards to eating, what to and what not to eat, so read what interests you and if you can't find something, just do a search. I hope you have time to visit often and take care! :welcome:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank breezeonby we already are and plan on sticking around! You too!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, David & Chrissie . . . thank you for joining us.

What type is David & what meds does he take, if any? Tell us more about your way of eating.

Good to meet you & I hope we'll see you often.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David is Type 2 and hes on metformin and just last week started Amaryll (generic) as even with a carefully watched diet (he whined unendingly he was starving to death lol!) his BG would not go down below 290 and was spiking up as high as 500. His food intake set up is 45 carb breakfast and 60 carb lunch and dinner with 2 - 15 -20 carb snacks. Though this was his INITIAL meal set up before his trouble with his BG.

The weird part was up until about a month and a half ago it never went above 120 (after meals), Then he started feeling really badly so we started testing him and watching him more and the spikes were hitting him pretty bad.

So now we are looking to be even more careful then we were before with meals. We were good with them, with the occasional no-no..but now were cracking down more with worry of the high BG.

Thank you for the welcome Shanny :)

Chrissie

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
His diet plan consists of far too many carbs. What he's eating for breakfast is as many carbs as I eat all day long. This is the usual scenario with the docs/dietitians/diabetes educators of the world - it certainly isn't David's fault for expecting to get results using their advice. But for whatever obscure reason, the powers-that-be of diabetes professionals refuse to recommend low carb eating.

Keep prowling through our threads and you'll see more & more of how most of us manage our diabetes. It's called eat-to-your-meter, and it requires testing all the food you eat (at first) to find if it sends his BG over 140. Any food that spikes him that high or higher, eliminate it from the diet.

Build your meals around protein, fats and the highest fiber vegetables. Just try it for a week & see what his numbers do. You'll be astonished how fast it works to not eat carbs. And believe me, he won't go around hungry eating protein & fats. The reason he thinks he's starving now is because consuming carbs just creates cravings for MORE carbs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: to the forums! We're glad you're here!

Ditto to what Shanny said re: too many carbs. Most of my days lately are 100g or less for the full day, and that's for a big guy eating 6 meals totalling between 3,000 and 3,400 calories daily. Try to reduce it as much as possible, and get the carbs from vegetable sources as opposed to grains. It should help!

Check out Blood Sugar 101's 'How to Lower Your Blood Sugar' for some great advice too...

G

·
welcome David & Chrissy :) I agree with giving it a try as to what others have said about lowering carbs. I'm one of the few that needs to eat carbs every meal. But maybe David is better off on the low carb and then just eating more fibre, good fats, and proteins. One thing I would say is just keep on eye on his LDL cholesterol if you do just increase 'fats' because it's supposedly Ok for most people to eat higher fat diet... but I have already proved that wrong for me... my LDL increased when I increased my lean meat intake, I learnt my lesson. David could be one of the lucky ones though considering carbs are giving him high BGLs. The other thing to consider it what type of carbs are being consumed. Learn about the Glycemic Index if you haven't already... lower GI is much kinder and you don't get the sudden spikes. Everything is indeed experimentation... you have to find what works well. Everyone is so different... that's what makes it harder I suppose. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shanny - I was prowling around a bit last night and saw allot of mentions of eating to your meter..which we are glad to have found as last night we discussed starting the trials and seeing what our hits and misses are.

Thanks for the info on why he was hungry, cause we would make decent meals and he would eat plenty and still be complaining he was hungry and it works make me feel bad because we'd have to be careful with his food intake but at the same time I don't want my husband hungry and grouchy...

Beefy - Thanks and were definitely gonna check out that link, if you a big guy and not starving I think I can get my hubby there too ;)

onlymep - no we haven't learned about the glycemic index yet, I was kinda shocked to read that some cereals can cause you long time spikes reading on here last night. Hes not much for cereal, but as we've been having issues with his spiking he went from eating maybe a cinnamon roll for breakfast to hunny nut cheerios..wonder if that wasn't helping, huh?

Thanks for all the info guys, you guys are great it seems weve defiantly come to the right place to educate ourselves!

David & Chrissie
;)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Shanny - I was prowling around a bit last night and saw allot of mentions of eating to your meter..which we are glad to have found as last night we discussed starting the trials and seeing what our hits and misses are.
Eating to your meter is the BEST thing you can do as a diabetic, in my opinion. We are ALL so different that it's important for each individual to know what they can and cannot eat. It was 'eating to my meter' that taught me that regardless of what my dietitian says, I cannot eat the amount of whole grains, etc., that they were 'prescribing' me.

Thanks for the info on why he was hungry, cause we would make decent meals and he would eat plenty and still be complaining he was hungry...

Beefy - Thanks and were definitely gonna check out that link, if you a big guy and not starving I think I can get my hubby there too ;)
Protein and fat REALLY help with feeling more-full/less-hungry. I'm never hungry. I currently eat 6 times a day. Three meals and three snacks. I never go more than 3.5-4 hours maximum without a meal now, except when I'm sleeping.

The problem with carbohydrates making us hungry is if we're insulin-resistant, our bodies will produce MORE insulin than required to try to deal with the increase in blood glucose caused by our meals. An excess of insulin in the bloodstream is what causes the hunger. It's a catch-22 that (if affected by this issue) is only resolved by eating less carbohydrate.

onlymep - no we haven't learned about the glycemic index yet, I was kinda shocked to read that some cereals can cause you long time spikes reading on here last night. Hes not much for cereal, but as we've been having issues with his spiking he went from eating maybe a cinnamon roll for breakfast to hunny nut cheerios..wonder if that wasn't helping, huh?
The glycemic index is a good place to start, but can be misleading too. Remember that it's based on a TWO HOUR reading of blood sugar spikes in NORMAL people (not diabetics). As such, the glycemic index says pizza is low-glycemic, yet we all know the crust is something the vast majority of us cannot eat.

I'd also suggest the Honey-Nut cheerios are a no-no, LOL. As is pretty much ANY cereal. And the cinnamon bun has gotta go, sorry to say. If your hubby's numbers are as high as you suggest, I would recommend he cut ALL starchy carbs, period.

Thanks for all the info guys, you guys are great it seems we've defiantly come to the right place to educate ourselves!

David & Chrissie
;)
There's some very helpful people here, that's for sure. I credit this site, it's people, and the info I've found here with turning my diabetes around 180 degrees.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
he went from eating maybe a cinnamon roll for breakfast to hunny nut cheerios..wonder if that wasn't helping, huh?
Eeeeeek!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: No more cinnamon rolls - no more cheerios! LOL! Ham & eggs please! Just hold the hashbrowns!

Several of us have totally gotten off the "breakfast" wagon - we just eat whatever protein/fats foods we like for breakfast, whether it's ham/eggs, a piece of steak leftover from supper the night before, or like I had today - some tuna salad on a toasted thin bun. Sometimes I have deviled eggs, sometimes I have guacamole (only homemade please - the processed dips are loaded up with carbs for thickening etc.) with cheese crisps. No need to hobble ourselves trying to stick with what society says is breakfast food - our choices are already limited by diabetes - why impose any MORE limitations! If he wants hot wings for breakfast (another of my favorites - be sure they aren't breaded though), more power to him!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place for support. My husband is also D but we sometime disagree on how we manage our diabetes. Since I do the shopping and cooking we basically do fairly low carb, organic. Dieticians give the exact same diet to everyone no matter what their numbers are. I was given the exact same diet as your husband. Luckily I found out pretty quickly there had to be another way to manage our bgs. I found out that testing after meals was the best way to manage bgs. I started with 180's, then 160's then 140's then 120's and now I am rarely over 100 after meals. It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen. Find the foods that give your husband the lowest bgs . If you spike higher, eliminate that food from your diet.

G

·

onlymep - no we haven't learned about the glycemic index yet, I was kinda shocked to read that some cereals can cause you long time spikes reading on here last night. Hes not much for cereal, but as we've been having issues with his spiking he went from eating maybe a cinnamon roll for breakfast to hunny nut cheerios..wonder if that wasn't helping, huh?​
oh yeah the cinnamon roll is white bread and high GI. Cheerios would be a high GI cereal too... they're very processed (we've not had them on our shelves that long here). If cereal is eaten... it should be as wholegrain (natural) as possible. I personally eat oats and I stay away from wheat for breakfast... because I know weetbix (popular wholegrain cereal here) can be unpredictable on my BGLs. I eat a low fat diet so I wouldn't eat bacon and eggs every morning (that would be a rare treat). Bacon here isn't cheap either. We pay $12.00 p/kg for bananas right now also (price is increasing every week)... so I don't even eat bananas much anymore. Greek yoghurt seems to work well with me... with a small amount of fruit... that could be another breakfast option that could work well for your husband too? But fibre of course is well known to fill your stomach and stop the hunger pangs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you like breakfast cereal, try this recipe!

Low-Carb AND delicious!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are just too awesome with the replies.

We were so EXITED between educating ourselves, his new meds he was down to 88 day before yesterday before breakfast and dinner..hes stayed pretty close to around 100...with some spells of around 120-130, but not higher than that. We were so HAPPY when he dropped, I've been so worried.

Beefy - we are starting to go by his meter we started pretty much the day after we signed up and started reading on the forum. :D

He actually does not really like cereal, he only started eating it because he HAD to eat breakfast and he isn't much of a breakfast eater. So I'm searching and educating myself on foods he can have for breakfast that I can premake or make him in the morning before work that ISN'T cereal. LOL!

He said he will NOT give up his cinnamon roll! But he knows it can only be a once in awhile treat now :(...poor hunny :( ;)

We plan on trying that cereal recepie you added on as well and see if he likes it :)

Shanny- I definitely plan on making him the cheese crisps, ham and eggs is a GOOD one cause he LOVES ham and makes a kicking smoked one! Its something I can cut up and portion out for him for breakfasts. BUT he LOVES and will only eat his eggs fried, we do use country crock light, but I'm practice making him some poached eggs and see how he likes those ..he has to have his yolk..LOL! Deviled eggs is another of his faves too, though he said he might eat them all of i make them, LOL!

Hot wings, I would LOVE a good sauce recepie thats would be good with the diabetes as any we get eating out or make at home seems to make him spike, any ideas for a good hot wing sauce? As with our 4 kids we do pizza quite often and he can only eat 1 piece ( we make homemade pizza mostly) so the wings really go well for him with the pizza.

jwags - thanks for the info a question please? About how long do you guys wait when learning to go by your meter to test after meals? Davids has gone down adn boy are we happy!

onlymep - I wouldn't mind the greek yogurt, matter of fact I'm a doc Oz fan and was planing on trying, once I get a chance to take a look at the store for it (without 4 kids throwing things in the cart ;)...), any particular brand or flavor or anything you recommend? :) my husband would rather eat cardboard or starve, lol!

You guys are awesome, I'm glad Ive found Ya'll!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Fried eggs & ham are his perfect breakfast. Stop worrying about the fats - they are a diabetic's best friend. Ditch the country crock light spread & start using real butter or better yet, coconut oil. Much more healthful than manufactured spreads, which are mostly water, soy oil, dyes & artificial flavoring.

If you're worried about cholesterol, here is what happened to my own husband after eating my low-carb high-fat diet for two years: http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/4481-test-results-non-diabetic.html#post31322 His tryglycerides dropped off the chart & the rest of his lipids profile looks amazing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
real butter I can do, coconut oil I'll have to look into. I've never heard of it before :) It seems the eggs and ham are, huh? LOL! Those are very impressive #s indeed! Thanks for sharing them and his doctor is right! LOL!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Breakfast was cinnamon toast cruch and then he was munching on jalepenio chips before lunch (cause he was late getting him for lunch) and his BG was 80! WOOT..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wanted to say a quick hello to everyone and an update, we've been so busy the last few weeks! Wow! We'll Davids #s are BEAUTIFUL! He's gotten a bit too low a few times, more then high...most times we are eating conciensiously. But I can say a few times we've been bold and the few time we were bold, he didn't go above 120...the once in a blue moon he wants some sketti or pizza, or Mexican which is his favorite... though with mexican hes basically given up the tortillas..which is one of the big killers in it..though he keeps his chips lol! Which is not often (Minus the tortillas, he has some sort of dip and chips quite often, but it does not raise his sugar luckily). Most time he stays right around 100....3 meals and 2 snacks a day...we've got all of them balanced well and now I've got a little time, I'm looking more into expanding the foods we eat....You guys are awesome! Going to check out the forum and see whats new! *hugs*

Chrissie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts