The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just found this forum.

I am a 42 year old recently dx T2 on metformin. I am a busy homemaker and have been lucky enough to keep my sugars under control. I aged into diabetes from having hypoglycemia for 26 years. I think holding off diabetes for 26 years was a pretty good job.

Right now I am just looking for others like me who have Diabetes in any form to talk over the topics and things that we deal with daily.

My name is Barbie.

G

·
Welcome Barbie :) glad you've joined us... you'll find lots of support and information on this forum. I'm type 2 also, although on full time insulin. How are you finding metformin? any side effects? Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Barbie,

I am a 49 year old T2 of 18 months. Started on 2000 mg Metormin. It usually does progress, and now I am on oral meds and a "Byetta" injector.

I found that exercise makes a big improvement in glucose levels. The process of building, maintaining and repairing muscle keeps glucose demand by cells high, and it finds a way around it's usual insulin resistance to use the sugar from the blood stream.

The first year, it was tough to let go of the carbs. Now I am glad to no longer be such a slave to them, or any food. Replace the favorites with more life dimensions and don't look back.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forums. We are glad you're here. I hope you come back often. There is a ton of information and encouragement on here. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still around... just settling in and unpacking things have a lamp in the corner so keep the light on for me! This place looks like it stays pretty busy. Thanks for the warm welcomes.

The metformin hasn't been a problem I am only on about 1,000 mgs right now as I need to be leveled right now my highs only hit about 180 although my lows can go all the way down to 40 so I have to be careful. I have had seizures from lows before I was full blown diabetic as a hypoglycemic of 26 years I am use to the lows pretty much. But that doesn't mean I enjoy them :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi :) welcome, and yes this place can get pretty busy. There is rarely a response that goes a few hours with out being replied to. Always supportive and very informative, hope you like it! Where are you from?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Barbie. I just read your post about Rufus, so hello & welcome to him too! We'll definitely keep the light on for you, so visit often! :D :D :D

Take care & thank you for joining us! :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi just found this forum.

I am a 42 year old recently dx T2 on metformin. I am a busy homemaker and have been lucky enough to keep my sugars under control. I aged into diabetes from having hypoglycemia for 26 years. I think holding off diabetes for 26 years was a pretty good job.

Right now I am just looking for others like me who have Diabetes in any form to talk over the topics and things that we deal with daily.

My name is Barbie.
Hello and :welcome: to the forum! There is a wealth of information on the forum so read what interests you. If you can't find something, just do a search by using the white box on the forum page. I hope that you will feel comfortable here and I hope that you visit often and take care!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am from Hegins Pa.. Usa... Just a tiny coal cracker town. But I hail originally from Maryland.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Barbie. Welcome to the forum. I think a lot of people before they become diabetic have a history of hypoglycemia. I'm not sure if it is from insulin resistance or just wacked out hormone levels. I have only been D for 4 years but I have seen my management improve a lot. Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had seizures from lows before I was full blown diabetic as a hypoglycemic of 26 years I am use to the lows pretty much. But that doesn't mean I enjoy them :)
I just had a 58 and dropping, right before lunch today, and I didn't enjoy it either! :( But I'm fine now. Just did a one hour check after lunch and I'm at 150 now. I just joined a few days ago myself and love it here, and I know you will too! Welcome Barbie!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My lowest was a 40 and it required a ambulance ride and injected sugar. fun fun fun. Fun that I don't care to repeat lol.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi Barbie. Welcome to the forum. I think a lot of people before they become diabetic have a history of hypoglycemia. I'm not sure if it is from insulin resistance or just wacked out hormone levels. I have only been D for 4 years but I have seen my management improve a lot. Glad to have you here.
I think so too. I was hypoglycemic before diagnosis as well. They were monitoring me since I have such a strong family history of diabetes. When I was found to be having hypo issues they started checking me more frequently. Sure enough...I flipped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts