The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and to diabetes (T2) I am still confused about some things but at least I'm not crashing anymore. I was hypoglycemic for 10 years so it's like changing my brain functions! I am :)still getting guilt feelings eating some carbs -- but others are a dream (baked potato) I hope to get more info on why some meals don't seem to last with me -- I know it has something to do with the sugar levels of foods

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Peachy! Good to meet you - tell us more about yourself and how you manage your new diagnosis - are you on any meds or insulin? Has your doctor made any diet suggestions? Are you checking your blood regularly?

I was diagnosed about a year ago, and I take metformin 500mg x3 per day. It has helped me lose about 30 lbs. I also use a lower carb menu plan, by avoiding rice, potatoes and most bread and pasta. I've found certain high-fiber tortillas that don't spike me, and the Dreamfields pasta is a bloomin' miracle, that doesn't spike me either!

Thank you for joining us . . . I know there's a lot we can learn from each other, so I hope you'll visit us often & chat much!

take care,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI Shanny- I am having trouble with what to eat since I now MUST eat carbs and I'm not used to that. The dietician told the class to eat 45g per meal -- I did not even eat 45g per DAY as a hypoglycemic. We were told to eat the breads, pasta and potatoes -- just in the right amounts. I'm to have 3 carbs of 15 g each at every meal. I'm on metformin and I will be tested again next month to see if that is doing well. I saw on another post that you have a bread recipe, how can I get that from you?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The bread recipe is right here just awaitin' for ya . . . if you're used to eating whole grain breads, it won't be much of a change. It's a heavier bread like rye or whole wheat, but it's a good nutty flavor & not crumbly. http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/2007-shannys-low-carb-sourdough-bread.html#post8625 Hope you like it! :D

My doctor originally told me to eat more carbs too, but I kept testing and testing and couldn't get my sugars low enough. So he increased my metformin, but that didn't work either, so I finally had to reduce my carbs too. Now with the higher dosage of met & lower intake of carbs, I've got it corralled for the time being, and can keep my readings mostly between 90 and 130. I'm not as low-carb as you were with hypoglycemia, but I keep it under about 60-65 per day.

Do you have a meter and are you testing? If you're testing every day, you'll soon discover which foods cause higher blood sugars, so you can avoid or at least limit those foods. If the 15g servings of three carbs per meal, are spinach, broccoli and asparagus, I can see no problem, but if they are potatoes, rice and bread, then you're going to run into trouble, regardless of what the dietitian says. My suggestion is to get a meter and start checking your blood after every meal. Then you'll know for yourself what keeps your sugars in safe ranges, and what sends it to the moon. Even this bread recipe I developed . . . it doesn't send me to the moon, but it would if I ate three thick slices at once. So I slice it 1/4 inch thick and eat one slice at a time, in a sandwich or toasted with butter. And I think I may have noted on the recipe that when toasted really crisp, it makes a nice cracker!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am new to the forum and to diabetes (T2) I am still confused about some things but at least I'm not crashing anymore. I was hypoglycemic for 10 years so it's like changing my brain functions! I am :)still getting guilt feelings eating some carbs -- but others are a dream (baked potato) I hope to get more info on why some meals don't seem to last with me -- I know it has something to do with the sugar levels of foods
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found it....but sorry you need it :)
There are lots of great people here with really awesome advice! I know its a lot to take in but it does get easier. It is so true that some foods affect you more than others. For me, the processed white foods, white bread, white flour, pasta, etc can really cause a spike for me. I do much better with whole grains. They are a more complex carb and are digested more slowly so it increases your blood sugar at a slower rate instead of that killer spike. I love potatoes and have found that I can tolerate a baked sweet potato much better than a baked white potato. I have even made french fries out of them. For fruits, citrus is a little tough for me...I do great with most berries and apples. Watermelon is death on a plate for me HAHAHA. But,,,you definitely make your own mileage with food. The best is to eat and test :)

Good luck, and again welcome!

Pam

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Better foods

Hello Peachy, welcome aboard! Foods that act quickly and do not last long have a higher glycemic index number. The link below will show you some foods with lower index numbers. They will last longer. The lower the index number, the longer they will last. Protein and fatty food lasts the longest. I have protein with every meal so that it will slow down the digestion and not give me a high soon after I eat

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/1909-glycemic-index.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts