The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newly diagnosed (4 days ago) diabetic who has absolutely no idea where to even begin navigating this disease. I check my sugar, I take Metformin, but other than that, I'm lost. I hope to learn more here and maybe meet a few people along the way. Oh yeah...my name is Amanda. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
Hi Amanda, welcome to the forum. I hope we can help guide you out of your lostness. Scary at first, but it's really not that bad

I'm 66, retired, male, type 2, who's been diagnosed for almost 10 years, and pretty confident I've had it longer than that. My objective has been to manage my blood sugar (blood glucose) with diet and exercise and a minimum of meds. I too am on Metformin. Diet is key because that is the main source of what becomes blood glucose, and carbohydrates (sugars/starches) are the things to watch out for and limit. JMO, diabetes disrupts our natural ability to regulate our blood sugar, if we can do that, then the complications of diabetes do not have to be inevitable.

A very good place to read about managing our diabetes is at Blood Sugar 101. There is lots of information there and is well worth reading. There is lots of information posted in threads here in the forum too from members sharing their experiences, good and bad. When you have questions we will be more than glad to get you an answer. Look forward to getting to know you better.

Reactions: itissteve

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
Hi, Amanda! Those first few days after diagnosis can be a whirlwind. But you're at a good site for information and support. Most of us have been down the road you're on. Feel free to reach out with any questions or confusions you may have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, Amanda. Welcome to the best diabetes forum on the Internet.
This is where I got my head screwed back on. I was really dismayed with my diagnosis and pretty much ignored it for 6-7 years, though taking Metformin. I didn't take my blood sugar readings but I'm sure I was sky high. After experiencing a number of high blood sugar side effects, I finally started taking care of myself. This forum was the place I learned about diabetes and what to do about it.
You're in good hands here, but you'll need to do a bit of reading to get yourself straightened out. We'll help as muh as we can. Don't be shy about asking questions. No question is silly. As others have said, we've all been new so we can relate.
Hope to be seeing more of you.

Candy (ironic name for a diabetic, huh?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts