The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a type 2 and have been for a long time (over thirty years). I am at my heaviest weight now and have the worst bs numbers I have ever had. My last A1C was 10.4 and the one before that was (I think - 10.9). I was on Avandia for years and it worked great but my doctors took me off due to potential cancer risk from its use. (I am a three time cancer survivor as it is - so I get the need to give up what had been working so well... but darn...). I started with a new Endo Doc who immediately dropped my Synthroid to a very low amount so I started sleeping all the time). I switched Docs and am finally on .075 synthroid and am able to function again.

I am not a "compliant" diabetic. I will just say it.. I cheat - regularly. My bs is often over 300 and I am thrilled if it is under 150 in the morning. I buy pastry, cakes, chips, etc - often - though I am cutting back. I had an epiphany the other day and decided my approach to my diabetes is just like if I were a young girl who is a cutter. I damage myself on a regular basis. That is something I am determined to work on. I think some therapy is in order as well as some good ole' "Just say NO!" or as they say, "Fake it til you make it" do not worry about the why of the thing - just change your behavior until your behavior becomes your norm...

After my 2nd and third cancer diagnosis' I sort of turned myself into an invalid. I stayed home - sometimes not even dressing for days. I am finally getting past that but it has been a 10 year struggle.

I worry much more about low bs than high bs because I was in the hospital in a diabetic low blood sugar coma for a week and it scared the hell out of me. I suffered some permanent personality changes and brain weirdness from the coma.

A few weeks ago I think I was headed towards better control but my numbers started going down to under 100 and I was scared of low bs so I started skipping shots. This afternoon my meter just said "HI" meaning I was over 500. Obviously, I need to take some action - Now - so I came here. I hope I do not get flamed after confessing such bad behavior. I am not a child - I haven't been a child in a Very long time. I know I need to make a drastic change in the way I have been handling (or not handling) things. I can do that - and I will... Thanks for being a place where I can share and get some moral support. I am like the little boxing guy.. I will beat this thing... :boxing:

·
Super Moderator
9,632 Posts
Hi Scarlett, welcome to the forum. Avandia may be some of the reason for weight gain,read about it here. It is not totally responsible though, as you know and stated. Are you on any other diabetes meds at this time?

Your BG numbers are high and in the very unhealthy range. The major contributor to high BG is from the carbs in our food, and the safest way to lower it is to greatly reduce the number of carbs we eat. Metformin, for the majority of people is a safe and efficient drug for lowering insulin resistance. Insulin is a safe way to lower high BG, yes there is a risk of low BG (below 60 mg/dL) but that risk is greatly reduced with a greatly reduced intake of carbohydrates. Below 100 is a normal number, and it is a target of many to try to stay below 100 all the time. Why? Because it is in the normal range and there is no reason to not strive for normal numbers. If your BG is like a roller coaster, up, down, up, down..., that can probably be blamed on high carbs. Action - eat carbs, BG goes up - Reaction - body produces/over produces insulin, BG goes down.

There are a few good sites to read like Bloodsugar101, the site the first link I gave you resides, and dietdoctor.com. There are other sites as well that I don't have stored in my feeble brain that others may link you to.

You can do this, you have already proven yourself, having whipped cancer 3 times. Doing that makes getting control of your blood sugars sound easy. You will get plenty of advice and encouragement here to do so.

Reactions: gailbuf
1 - 2 of 2 Posts