The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was diagnosed in March with Type II. It came as quite a shock. I am 59, 5'6"and I weigh 140 lbs. I am an amateur athlete and I run, bike, hike and/or walk at least 90 minutes every day. My fasting BGL is usually about 95 ml/dl, and my highest reading was 150 (bad day). My wife and I eat very healthy, and neither of us takes drugs of any sort--ok, except vitamins.
I apparently owe my diabetes to a year-long trip to Vietnam I took over 40 years ago--Agent Orange took its toll. We suspect that only my healthy lifestyle held diabetes off this long. So here's my dilemma:
I'm used to "carb loading" to fuel my exercise. Bread, pasta, etc. Have been my staples. Now, according to my testing, they're taboo. What do I eat to replace those foods, keep my energy up, and not jack my blood sugar sky high? I want to keep my figures low so I can avoid all the damage that goes with ignoring this disease and living "life as usual".

Thanks.

Roger

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I was diagnosed in March with Type II. It came as quite a shock. I am 59, 5'6"and I weigh 140 lbs. I am an amateur athlete and I run, bike, hike and/or walk at least 90 minutes every day. My fasting BGL is usually about 95 ml/dl, and my highest reading was 150 (bad day). My wife and I eat very healthy, and neither of us takes drugs of any sort--ok, except vitamins.
I apparently owe my diabetes to a year-long trip to Vietnam I took over 40 years ago--Agent Orange took its toll. We suspect that only my healthy lifestyle held diabetes off this long. So here's my dilemma:
I'm used to "carb loading" to fuel my exercise. Bread, pasta, etc. Have been my staples. Now, according to my testing, they're taboo. What do I eat to replace those foods, keep my energy up, and not jack my blood sugar sky high? I want to keep my figures low so I can avoid all the damage that goes with ignoring this disease and living "life as usual".

Thanks.

Roger
:welcome: Roger! Good question, but no easy answer. In order for you to be able to eat carbs without raising your blood sugar adding insulin would give you the best coverage. It sounds like you have been testing and knows what raises your blood sugar. I only walk and ride a stationary bike and neither one of those really lowers my blood sugar. My gait is not the best and exercising is a bit of a challenge for me. I used to exercise 90 minutes a day when I was younger and this may have helped to keep diabetes away for several years. My diagnosis was a surprise as well. I do have one blood relative that had diabetes so I knew it was possible that I could get it. We have many members who are active and may be able to shed some light on your situation. Come and visit often.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Roger, and thank you for joining us!

Carb-loading is a mystery to me, being a very sedentary old lady (
:D), but in pursuing a solution for you, let me address that insulin is not a drug, but a hormone which our own bodies are supposed to produce, but some have lost that capacity. If it became necessary for you to use it, I hope you wouldn't feel compromised. It's one of the best tools in our diabetes arsenal for those who need it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I thought carbo loading had been debunked years ago.

the night BEFORE an event you load up with carbs am I right so far?

Then what happens? The person digests the carbs in to sugar, the pancreas churns out insulin and the sugar gets stored as fat. So you load up with body fat the night before. It certainly does not sit around in your blood waiting.

you can still do that, except now you will need to take insulin injections to turn the sugars into fat.

If your on insulin you will need to ingest the carbs as you use them. so carbbing up before hand dont do you much good.

I am a T2 on insulin, when I bicycle I use "Betty Crocker" cake frosting in a tube, and take a squirt every 5 to 8 miles depending on how hard I'm riding.

Why the frosting in a tube? Its easy no mess. I used to use candy but what do you do with the wrappers? on a long ride Id end up with 7 or 8 wrappers. I used to stick them up the leg of my riding shorts, that got kind of messy. So know I use the tube.

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabet...cycle-ride-american-diabetes-association.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts