The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Shane, we can give you a lot of information, but it would be best if you would first tell us about your Dad. What kind of diabetes does he have? Type 1? Type 2? Does he use medication, or insulin? Give us some details and then ask any specific questions you may have.

Richard

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome. I'm sure it will mean a lot to your dad that you want to get to know about his disease. As Richard said, if you tell us a little more about him we will be able to help you better. I look forward to getting to know you and hope that you visit us often...

·
Registered
104 Posts
It can run in families

Hi, and welcome!

My Dad also had diabetes type 2 as did his Dad. Now I have it (as does my trim "in shape" older brother) ... so there is a family connection.

This is a nosy group and we would like to know if your father is type 1 or 2, at what age was he diagnosed and what meds are he on? Keep in touch and let us know, okay?! :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think learning everything you can about diabetes is a good idea. When I was dx'd I found out little from my doctor. Online forums are great resources to use to find out more about diabetes. Another good site I found with lots of good info is called Blood Sugar 101 Blood Sugar 101 You can find lots of good information and ways to manage diabetes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I went out and bought a lot of diabetic cookbooks at first , only to find that most of them still use high carb ingredients. Finding a good low carb book like Dana Carpender I think is a good idea. I use a lot of low carb online sites like
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went out and bought a lot of diabetic cookbooks at first , only to find that most of them still use high carb ingredients.
I've noticed that, too. I'm a little lucky in that my wife is a culinary school student, so it's nothing for her to modify a recipe to cut carbs and sugars and, in a lot of cases, make the stuff taste better. She should write her OWN cookbook, I'm thinking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts