The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
51 year old male with type 2 diabetes for about 10 or so years. Currently on:
6 Units of Levermir injected daily; Metformin 1000mg twice daily; Januvia 100mg daily. Just started Levemir about a month ago with great results, no more DP! Was previously on 5 mg glipizide but had too many occurances of hypoglycemic reactions....three or so a month....but thought that I may be overworking my pancreas on glipizide too. I know the levermir dosage is minimal, but results have been profound....90-110 fasting BS in mornings. Would like input on my decision to quit glipizide and use levemir and if my rationale seems valid. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Tbird: :)

You know I'm going to ask. Does your name come from those huge Thunderbirds? What a car!! Sorry, I had to ask. :D

Good Job getting rid of the DP(so many suffer with that)and lows. I was going to say....only 6 units of Levemir? That's Nice to hear. Usually Type 2's use much more. I haven't needed to try Levemir since Lantus works Good for me.

I'm Glad that you have experimented and arranged your meds. to your Best benefit with your Dr.'s help. I read only how everything has fallen into place with your numbers being in the Good range especially no DP and no lows. I think your rationale is Very valid. You had a goal in mind and you came out with what I presume is a perfect solution for your situation. You can't get any better than that.

As far as using the Levemir, I think it is Good to give your pancreas a rest for a while. That's interesting to see you using Januvia. I have seen some Type 2's who use Metformin and Januvia but the majority aren't using it so far.

Welcome! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Terrie,

Unfortunately, my nickname is not derived from any kind of iconic or exotic origin...just some childhood label that's not used any more...and no, I don't think I look like a bird....

My doctor is a general practicioner and a lot of my BS medication results comes from my amatuerish research. He knows basic stuff and understands how the medicine's work, but diabetes is not his specialty. That's okay, because he's a good consultant regardless. My biggest fear about using glipize was wearing my pancreas out prematurely that may precipitate into full blown type 1. It just seemed logical to me, but could not find any documenting evidence suggesting that pushing your pancrease would wear it out. In any case, the stigma of using a needle was also a concern of mine. I realized at some point (no pun intended), that I would probably need to use a needle eventually anyway so my thinking was that the earlier I start the better the long term results would be. However, the reaction of my wife and family was, OMG your taking shots now! The disease is getting worse and I'm on the some kind of death watch. Indeed, when I casually mention that I'm a diabetic the almost knee jerk question is that are you taking shots? I would instinctfully say no I'm on pills as if to translate that I was certainly wasn't that bad off. Now, however, I feel compelled to caveat my shot response with a longwinded boring blah blaw explanation. In any case, I'm pleased with my results at the moment and I'm working on spikes after meals and re-thinking Januvia. Thanks for your affirmation and help.

Tim

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Tim: :)

That's okay about your name.....I'll get over it.....someday....;) So in other words, you're a Jim Bob...:D....j/k....

You've done Well for an amateur then, considering you haven't had Diabetes for too long. Okay, for you it probably feels like a Lifetime. I also have decided what meds., delivery system , diet and schedules for my treatment mainly on my own for most of the years. After all, I want to be as healthy as I can be and I know how my body reacts to things Best. My Endo and GP are my guides and idea feedback, when I need them. You really should have a Dr. who is competent in the field of Diabetes though since you will need his/her expertise as time goes on.

I don't suppose telling your Friends that "many Doctors are immediately putting their Type 2 Patients on Insulin to delay them from getting complications", would convince them that you are not "death-warmed-over".
You know through all these years more and more People are becoming Diabetic but the general population seems to be learning Very little about Diabetes. Thank Goodness for the minority of Family and Friends who actually want to learn :eek: and help the Person with Diabetes get their disease under control.

I had always heard that once a Type 2 always a Type 2(only eventually a Type 2 on Insulin). People are still disagreeing on that one. Things sure have changed since Richard and I were dxd. but that's progress I guess. :D

I hope that you soon discover if Januvia is for you. YW! Have a Good Day Tim. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts