The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
My name is Cosmo. I am 21 and have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years. How often should I be seeing some one about it? two years ago a did a course called DAFNE which was very helpful and my HBA1c's have been like 4 - 6%. But I feel like I am totally winging it and have no idea if Im doing it right. I also think I ay be developing insulin resistance because Im waking up real high sometimes (11 - 15) and no matter the correction I still cant get them down. Dont wanna go blind man. I also have background retinopathy.

from Cosmo

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Cosmo - wecome to DF. What basal insulin are you using? Like you seem to be developing, I have noticeable Dawn Phenomenon, so I do my largest dose of Levemir at midnight (9 units - although I'm testing 8.5 units now because I'm waking up at 6 a.m. int the 60's sometimes - a little too low)Do you split your basal into a couple of shots? If you don't you might try it.

I find changing basal needs really frustrating. You get into a nice groove, blood sugar's running along fine and all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, something changes....grrrrrrr.

You should be seeing your doc at least once a year. They'll tell you that it should be every three months, but if you're well controlled that might not be necessary (just my opinion of course, and I'm a notorious doctor-avoider). And definitely see an eye doctor - with that retinopathy you don't want to take chances. Make a couple of appointments and get in to see someone sooner than later.

Best,
Jen

G

·
welcome Cosmo :) I'm type 2 on full time insulin. I also can get the liver dumping during early hours of the morning. I take 17 units of lantus at night... it has been mostly working for me so my endocrinologist doesn't want me to adjust this... only my bolus insulin which is apidra. Here they like to see you every 6 months... although I think that a year should be the max you leave it for. You probably need to be having the HbA1c regularly. You could be getting the liver dumping too if you're waking up higher in the mornings... it's such a pain huh. The BGLs aren't always predictable... keeps us on our toes. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Cosmo, welcome! Your A1c's are great, which is surprising since you have morning highs. I suppose the rest of you day must be very good after that high is corrected. I agree that your basal might need increasing. Do you take your basal in the evening? If you take it in the morning, then it might not last a full 24 hours. Some people take part of their basal in the morning, and the rest in the evening. You could use trial and error to determine how much you need each time to have stable control. Increasing the evening dose should help with the morning highs.

I have been type 1 for 65 years and am doing very well. With good control we can have long, healthy lives.

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts