The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im Lorah ive being diabetic since 1995 type 2. having a really hard time on my insilin. i go off it my blood gos to my monitor saying high but i lose weight wich is great. but i go back on it cause i want to be healthy and i gain the weight right back and it keeps going up. does anyone else have this problem. im so tierd of being fat that im thinking of going off insilin forever. i weigh 212 now i was down to 192. but in three days i have went back to were i am now. i dont know what to do.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Lorah! :D

Glad you found us! You'll find lots of info and support here.

Question: What kind of diet are you on? Many of us on this Forum eat low-carb, high-fat, which helps most of us with our weight, even if we're on insulin.

Drs. sometimes have us eat the opposite way -- high-carb, low-fat. Which, for a lot of us, makes it hard/impossible to lower our sugars or lose weight.

Looking forward to getting better acquainted!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
My doc never put me on a diet.
Insulin and no diet? OK ... wow.

Is it possible to lose weigh on insulin?
Short Answer: Yes, it's possible. Not guaranteed, mind you, but possible.

Every diabetic body is different. What many of us do is cut carbs waaaaay down, or eliminate them altogether.

For example, we eliminate bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. I can't deal with the whole-grain versions, either.

BUT ... we do eat real fats such as mayo and butter. (Foods labeled "low-fat" almost always contain extra carbs and sugar. Real fats nourish us without spiking blood sugars.)

For us, low-carb/high-fat helps with weight and blood sugar -- insulin or no. Keeps us from ballooning up, at any rate. Exercise completes the picture.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Lorah. Because it is carbs that spike us the worst, requiring higher doses of insulin to keep lower blood sugar, it stands to reason that if we reduce the amount of carbs we eat, then we reduce the amount of insulin needed. Shalynne has explained it very neatly, and it's a win-win situation! Stay with us & learn more about how well we eat on low-carb/high-fat! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to let you all know that I have lost 12 pounds I cut back what I eat ant found a app that held me figure put how much insulin to take I was taking way to much for all these years. Hope I can get down to 135 pounds I'm 200 now was 212. And bg level is great. Hugs

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Lorah :) I'm type 2 on insulin also. I was placed on it in Feb2010. I haven't gained any weight on it at all. I'm obviously taking the correct dosage for what I need. I think excess insulin can cause weight gain from what I've heard. I do eat carbs myself, but I stick to wholegrain mostly. Keep us posted with how you're doing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Lorah. I found out about my bg issues in February. I cut back the carbs and three months later I'm 50 pounds lighter with bgs half of what they were and now in normal range. I was so sad to read your doctor gave you insulin but no good dietary advice. Glad you found us and I'm sure you'll find good advice here. Congrats on the 12 pounds and improved bgs! =)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gphx said:
Hi Lorah. I found out about my bg issues in February. I cut back the carbs and three months later I'm 50 pounds lighter with bgs half of what they were and now in normal range. I was so sad to read your doctor gave you insulin but no good dietary advice. Glad you found us and I'm sure you'll find good advice here. Congrats on the 12 pounds and improved bgs! =)
Thank you very much. I just addicted to eating and I'm trying very hard to stop. Hugs everyone and again thank you

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My doc never put me on a diet. Is it possible to lose weigh on insulin?
It is very hard to lose weight while taking insulin. You can eat low carb and see if that will help. You will need less insulin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts