The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just new to the forum, yet another newbie. Look forward to reading your posts, learning, and sharing - hopefully.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi there...tell us more about yourself! We love new friends. Lots of wisdom here and you may want to nose around the forum...some great sounding recipes and lots of knowledge to learn from.

Glad you came,

Pat

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, iCurteye. Guess I'm the nosey one around here 'cause I'm curious to know what type you are, when you were diagnosed, if you are on any meds, what type of diet plan you are on and anything else you are willing to share.

For learning & sharing, you came to the right place. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx Pat. I am a Chef by trade and was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic almost 3 years ago now.

It was a wake up call. I knew I was over weight, thought I knew food due to my trade, however, carb intake was over the top.

Since then I have dropped 30 pounds, exercise regularly and monitor carb intake.

My goal is to come off my Metformin (twice a day) as my blood test glucose tests every 3 months have come back as 'perfect'.

Just have not made the move yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi gizmo

Some if your questions are answered above.

I don't follow a 'diet', rather I count carbs and ensure the carbs I am allotted fir in a day a spread out through 3 meals and two snacks during the day.

My next step will be to continue that, but to take into consideration caloric intake to drop some more weight.

I have also chosen NOT to have any sweets if any kind as the sugar jumps the carb count.

The last thing is I guess I ensure any carb has fiber in it, so no 'white' breads.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I am a Chef by trade
Oh, man - I've been bemoaning the fact I'm not one of those, seriously. If ever being a chef would come in handy it's now.

We need your counsel! But for now I'll just welcome you, so not to drive you off with a million questions. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome Curt, and congratulations on your success in lowering your blood sugars & losing some weight. And about that weight loss, don't be too quick to jettison the metformin - sometimes we gotta "dance with the one that brung us", and in many cases (mine included), the metformin is facilitating the weight loss as well as lowering BGL. Continuing to lower your carb intake & using moderate fats will do much more to keep the weight coming off than any calorie-counting regimen you might develop. And believe it or not, the low-carb/high-fat method lowers your cholesterol too - I've seen the numbers myself.

BTW, are you testing your own BGL? I think if you don't, you'd be wise to get a meter & use it regularly - you'll surely progress more rapidly with closer monitoring.

Take care & thank you for joining us! :D

Thx Pat. I am a Chef by trade and was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic almost 3 years ago now.

It was a wake up call. I knew I was over weight, thought I knew food due to my trade, however, carb intake was over the top.

Since then I have dropped 30 pounds, exercise regularly and monitor carb intake.

My goal is to come off my Metformin (twice a day) as my blood test glucose tests every 3 months have come back as 'perfect'.

Just have not made the move yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts