Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Hi

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Tiggletaggle 
#1 ·
Hello everybody

I have been a Type 1 diabetic and on insulin since diagnosis in South Africa in 1981. I was an eighteen year old student at the time, but 30 years of practice have made being diabetic my 'normal' :)

#7 ·
Hello & welcome, BC. There is no type 1 board per se. If we grow so much that we need to break it down more, I'm sure that will be taken under consideration, but there are good reasons to avoid that segregation too, because we have type 2 members whose pancreata have burnt out completely, so they make no insulin; yet they are not type 1, they are insulin-dependent type 2. Furthermore, I've found on other forums that there is the occasional boor who gets territorial about "his" type board, and proceeds to chastise anyone of the "other" types who have appropriate/relevant comments - saying they aren't allowed to post there.

Here is where everyone is allowed comment anywhere, so they can & do. If you prowl around here awhile, you'll begin to recognize the type 1 folk, the pumpers, the all the ones in between who have acute insights into all the workings of diabetes. Your doctor/dietician/diabetes educator prob'ly aren't type 1 either, but you still consider what they have to say.

#6 ·
Hello, and welcome! You seem to have good control, and a great attitude. That is great! I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. Ask all the questions you want, there are several type 1 diabetics here who will reply.

Richard

#8 ·
HI Black Cat

Lovely to see you here :)

Don't suppose you have a diabetic Bobotie recipe on you? I could use one of those :)

Welcome aboard!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.