The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all :)
As far as I know, I am not a Diabetic.
However, I am going to the doctor Friday to be tested, which brings me to my first question: What should I expect from a diabetes screening?

I have no idea what is wrong with me! I went to a holistic doctor once who said I was hypoglycemic.
He also said I was allergic to sugar and wheat.
So I avoided all table sugar (sucrose) and even fructose, because if I consumed too much sugar, it made me fall asleep.
For example, one time I ate a few cookies and fell asleep at my computer with my hand on the mouse.
It's scary.

Anyway, long story short: I'm going Friday to get tested.
I have many symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes, although my weight is healthy. I was, however, quite overweight as a child.
My father is pre-diabetic, my grandmother is a diabetic, and my aunt is a diabetic.

Unfortunately, my aunt is in the hospital right now. She had blood clot in her foot, and amputation was necessary.

So, I'm quite frightened at this whole prospect, to be honest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Misty.

You might have Type 2, or Type 1.5, without being obese! Particularly if it is in your family.

What symptoms do you have?
In the morning I feel like a zombie. I also have a slow thyroid, but I still feel groggy after taking Synthroid.

If I eat something like oatmeal on an empty stomach, within 15 minutes it puts me to sleep! During those "episodes," my heart races, it gets difficult to breathe, and I become very very thirsty.
And I pee like a race horse :eek:

I suspect my morning fatigue to be low blood sugar, and my post-oatmeal fatigue to be high blood sugar, but I've never tested for numbers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh! I forgot to actually introduce myself!!
Hi, my name is Misty. I just turned 20 this month.
I married my best husband when I was 18 years old in 2009, and we had our daughter in January of 2011.
She is the absolute most precious thing I've ever seen! Her sweet little two-toothed grin can make any bad day worthwhile.

I enjoy walking, hiking, and basically just being outside. I also love to read, write, draw, paint, sew, and craft.
I just recently became interested in photography, so I'm not exactly good at it, but I'm trying, and I enjoy it.
Life and living is wonderful.

I'm currently in college working on an Associates degree in Business Management, specifically Leadership.

My aspirations for the (hopefully near) future include cleaning my house to my mother-in-law's standards... Hahaha!!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome Misty. They will probably have you do a fasting blood glucose test and an HbA1c which will measure the amount of glycation or sugar coating on your blood molecules over the last 3 months or so. Some offices may have you do an Oral glucose tolerance test where they give you a glucose drink and then measure your blood glucose over the next 2 hours. You have described the same symptoms a lot of us have. I was pretty much normal weight and very athletic. I was a vegetarian eating lots of whole grains, brown rice , quinoa,oatmeal and fruit. When I started to test my bgs I notices when I ate whole grain bread or oatmeal my bgs went sky high. But if I ate protein and fat my bgs stayed normal. So I started eating meat, eggs and cheese again and has ditched most carbs. Bread was the hardest thing to give up but thanks to all my new low carb friends we share lots of great recipes. We just don't use wheat flour. I also feel I am allergic to carbs. But it is not only wheat and sugar. Carbs are in all sorts of things like fruit, milk and starchy veggies. If you control the carbs you can control the blood sugar. I no longer need naps anymore since I gave up most carbs. I try to get most of them from veggies and a cheese and eggs. I aim for 10-15 a meal which works for me. The most important thing when you go to the doctor is to get an Rx for a bg meter and strips. If you have good insurance it will pay part if not the whole cost of the strips to measure bg.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Misty. You do have some symptoms of diabetes, and I hope your docs will test you for both type 1 & type 1.5 (LADA). That would include tests for GAD antibodies & c-peptide.

Life and living should be able to go as happily as now, once you get acclimated to your new uninvited hitchhiker. Treatment may vary, depending on which type you are, but diabetes is absolutely manageable/controllable. You'll find loads of good advice here . . . I'm so happy you found us!

Take care & hurry back! :wave:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i hope you dont have it.

you're on a good message board if you do.
lots of friendly people here

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello all :)
As far as I know, I am not a Diabetic.
I have no idea what is wrong with me! I went to a holistic doctor once who said I was hypoglycemic.
He also said I was allergic to sugar and wheat.
So I avoided all table sugar (sucrose) and even fructose, because if I consumed too much sugar, it made me fall asleep.
For example, one time I ate a few cookies and fell asleep at my computer with my hand on the mouse.
It's scary.
Hi Misty,

As the others have said, some of your symptoms sound suspiciously like mine last summer just before my DKA crisis. I'm slightly puzzled about the suggestion from the holistic doctor that you were hypoglycaemic when your results from sugar consumption - falling asleep - are consistent with my hyperglycaemia - the direct opposite.

I'm with Eric - whilst you're very welcome to the forum, I hope that the tests your doctor carries out don't result in a diagnosis of Diabetes.

It scared me, and I'm a year or three older than you. :wink:

Good Luck, John

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Misty,
Im also new around here just wanted to welcome you.... I too a few years before i was dx with type 2 was told I was hypo I had a few er visits and my sugar was under 50 but a few years later I started spilling surar in my urine thet the dx of type 2 came along and here i am try to stay as healthy as possible...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts