The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have type 2 diabetes but have had my head in the sand and ignored it for a few yrs i shoul be taking 4 metformin and glycaside i think its called , but havent until 2 days ago when i checked my sugar and it was 28.3 since then ive been on the meds , made an app at docs for a serious ticking off , not looking forward to it :-( but i know how important it is now , im soo stupid

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You sure aren't the first to poke your head in the sand over diabetes, Heidi, and you won't be the last. Sure glad you found us & I hope you'll enjoy being here.

Take care & visit us often! :wave:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Heidig. Glad to see you are back on the wagon. We are a nosey bunch around here. We'd like to know if you are vegan, vegetarian, low carbing or whatever. Any weight you need to lose? What is your goal, when it comes to bg numbers, any other info. you are willing to share.

You will get lots of encouragement and sound advice here. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest all off the above i have no idea , i dont understand diabetes all i know is i need to loose weight and exersise im unsure what type of diet is the best ( confused ) im not vegetarian and i really dont eat too much but love the sweet things in life , my main problem is packed lunch for work , think im in serious need of help , thankyou for a great welcime x

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
The best diet for almost all diabetics (except Type 1 without insulin resistance) is a low-carb one, meaning severely restricting or eliminating grains (pasta, bread, rice, wheat, cereal), potatoes, milk, starchy veggies like corn, any sugars or honey, and most fruit (except berries can be more easily tolerated.) Great foods are any meat (I've happily gone back on bacon and sausage!), cheese, veggies, cream, eggs, nuts, healthy oils (natural like olive or coconut), and oh bless the avocado.

This sounds impossibly restrictive coming out of the gate and it is, but when I made the change I also was able to start enjoying foods I had eliminated when I was eating a high-carb/low-fat diet. Our recipe section is awesome both for specific recipes and ideas on how to low-carb your current favorite ones.

Welcome to the forum, and good on you for deciding to take your diabetes seriously. 'Now' is always the best time to do that!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi i have type 2 diabetes but have had my head in the sand and ignored it for a few yrs i shoul be taking 4 metformin and glycaside i think its called , but havent until 2 days ago when i checked my sugar and it was 28.3 since then ive been on the meds , made an app at docs for a serious ticking off , not looking forward to it :-( but i know how important it is now , im soo stupid
To go up is good. Physically, emotionally and spiritually I feel better. I am two months in and am sitting at a fasting score of 100bgl. I'm slowly losing weight, too.

Jere

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. With bgs as high as yours you might want to ask your doctor for some insulin to intially get it lower. Once you get it lower and change your diet you may be able to wean off of it. The important thing is to educate yourself about this disease and what it does to your body. Before I got diabetes I had many misconceptions about Diabetes. Since I never ate sugar I thought I was OK. Now I know Diabetes is about all carb not just sugar. Start reading labels and look for the total carb on the back of the package. Go for the lowest number. Also start reading ingredients. Anything that has sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Wheat Flour, Malodextrin, Corn, or rice you may need to avoid or severely limit. Things like breakfast cereals, bread and pasta are big offenders. So you may want to take these out of your diet. Diet Sodas are fine, as well as Crystal Light. If possible though try to drink more plain water. Check out our recipe forum, we do love to cook and most of us have discovered ways to cook and keep it low carb.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Im a diet coke addict can i still drink this ?
Welcome to the group Heidi. Its great that you've decided this forum which should also mean that you've decided to take control. With a strong resolve you'll get things in control very soon.

I was a diet soda fan too but I've decided give it a break. I've always known that diet drinks are bad for me but never realised. So far since my diagnosis i've given up these drinks. However, if that is difficult for you i'd suggest you reduce you intake and have it only with your meals.

Reactions: optimist

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys getting alot of usefull info so no cerial no bread so im up at 5.30 am whats best for breakfast ?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hi, and welcome!
I`m pretty new here too, but this is a super place to learn from others and there is also plenty of tips about food.
I`m a slow starter in the morning, so I would definitely made something ready in the evening. I love for example to make chickensalad (grilled chicken in pieces, boiled eggs, bacon, mushroom and celery in a mix of cream, mayonnaise, sour cream and curry). It lasts for several days in the refrigerator and it is really easy to take some and it will not make you hungry to soon.
If you have energy in the morning you can make an omelet, egg & bacon, leftovers from yesterdays dinner, boiled eggs with real butter or something else.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
love the sweet things in life
I do, too. In the recipe section I made Shanny's crustless pumpkin pie a couple of days ago, it was such a treat. You will also find recipes for ice cream, muffins, frosting and lots more. And it isn't sweet, but there is a pizza recipe there somewhere and lots of other good things.

About the diet coke, some people on the forum won't use artificial sweeteners at all, some only use certain ones and some will use any and all of them. You can read the threads about artificial sweeteners and decide for yourself.

If you want to learn more about Diabetes, there is a great site Blood Sugar 101 It is very informative and the info. is based on reliable research, but it is still written in a way that is easy to understand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts