The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Gee where Do I start? Let's see I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes two years ago. At that time I was told if I lost weight it would go away. Now 2 years later and 15 pounds lighter I'm told that I may be starting injections soon.. None of this make any sense to me especially my new machine and this coding thing. Anyway.. Hi, just hoping to get some support and answer my own questions via this form.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Hi Gin, welcome to the machine.

unfortunately our disease does not "go away"

have a look around, and ask plenty of questions

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I am sorry you were misled. So many doctors automatically assume those of us with Type 2 are diabetic because of our bad diet. I ate a fantastic vegan diet before diabetes and exercised every day. Although I was not overweight I was told to lose weight, too. I actually took 30 pounds off on a low carb diet over the last 4.5 years. Guess what I am still diabetic. I am able to keep bgs in a pre diabetic level by eating very low carb 10-15 per meal. But over the past 4 years I have had to up my metformin to keep those bgs low. Have you tried the oral meds and what doses did you use? Also what is your diet like. Some people can delay insulin by eating very low carb and exercise. But for some it is not enough. When your beta cells decide to poop out, you will need to replace with insulin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the AccuCheck Compact plus for a machine. I finally figured out the coding. By just searching the web finally getting a site that spoke english for us newbies.
I take Metformin (slow release) up to 3 a day at 500mg each.. Two in morning and one at night. My day sugars can go from 80 to 200 depending on what I eat, but I can't seem to get my fastings in order.. Doctor wants me to hit 70 but I can't seem to get below 100. I'm still trying to understand it all.

Yup I know he was feeding me a line about the weight, but it was a good incentive to loose it I was at 198 and needed it off for my blood pressure. My AC1 (Is that the right name?) is at a 6.5 at the last visit in June, not going back to see him until Feb (which by the way is questionable to me)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'd consider the Feb. app't a blessing since that gives you time to remake yourself by your diet! Poke around and read our postings and Blood Sugar 101 and maybe read at least Atkins for more information and get at it. Fastings are notorious, so for now, just monitor your after meal and pre-meal readings and get them down and in a bit your fastings will lower.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Quite frankly I don't know many type 2's not on insulin to have a fasting as low as 70. I am usually between low 90's and 110 for fasting but I rarely spike above 120. So I plan my meals around fat and protein and carbs from veggies so I don't get after meal spikes. By doing this my HbA1c stays in the low to mid 5's. 12 years ago in my late 40's I was close to 200 pounds. I made the decision I was going to lose weight. It was not easy and took quite awhile. I would lose 10 pounds and then plateau for a few months and then restart losing. I did a lot of trial and error with diet and exercise. I would have to say the best diets for me were the LC diets like Atkins, South Beach, Protein Power or the Bernstein diet. I now combine all of those to do a maintenance diet to keep my weight in the low 120's. For the past year I have been adding significant fat in the form of Coconut Oil and Organic butter to all my meals and it has helped keep my bgs very stable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.