The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm Franci, I'm type 2, currently pregnant so on insulin, I live in New Zealand married with a 18 month old son, really glad to find the forums and read what people have to say, I saw the forum about coconut oil, I'm so glad people are learning about it, it's the best stuff around IMO, looking forward to getting to know new people here, people seem to be very supportive, that's something my husband and I haven't had much of. Oh and I'm looking for really easy recipes for summer treats, if any one has any they would like to share I would really love that.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Franci and welcome...where in NZ are you? I have 2 brothers that were born in rotarua :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hello all, I'm Franci, I'm type 2, currently pregnant so on insulin, I live in New Zealand married with a 18 month old son, really glad to find the forums and read what people have to say, I saw the forum about coconut oil, I'm so glad people are learning about it, it's the best stuff around IMO, looking forward to getting to know new people here, people seem to be very supportive, that's something my husband and I haven't had much of. Oh and I'm looking for really easy recipes for summer treats, if any one has any they would like to share I would really love that.
Hey Franci,
Welcome to the group. How are you doing ?
Have you been diabetic for long or it this a gestational phase ?

You'll find great recipies in our recipe section. In addition there are are the following thread that should give you some ideas on our diet

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/4227-whats-dinner-127.html
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/6633-whats-breakfast-10.html
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/6926-whats-lunch-8.html

Tony...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome, i was diagnose with PCOS at 19 told i'd never have children and would become diabetic that was it, i slowly became self destructive, at 30 I was diagnose with diabetes I've been type 2 for 6 years now, I haven't really controlled my diabetes, more from the fact that I had no idea how to, the health system here is good, but education isn't very easy to get unless you know the right questions to ask which I didn't, but now that my husband is diabetic and we have a child and one on the way I've been making an effort to learn, the right diet, not the recommended one is what I've found to be important, exercise was something I always thought was the thing other people did, lol That was until we got a dog, I would feel guilty for not walking him, the side effect was I lost 25kg, with that I got pregnant, we had been trying for 16 years. I really love food, its one thing in my life that became a comfort, sadly I didn't know or want to know that it was hurting me, but that's the past the future is bright and now I have a bunch of new friends that are experienced and I know that there's support here for all.

Oh I live in Wellington, I love New Zealand but would like to travel with my family to see what life is like for people in other countries.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi Franci & welcome from me I'm just over the water from you!!!
You DO have a bunch of new friends who will support you in any & way possible.
Have you had a look at Blood sugar 101 site its extremely informative, I know I found it to be very helpful when first DX.
If you'd like to share with us your A1C results, & meds & diet we may be able to offer suggestions to help you, one thing I have found out is that D affects us all in different ways & what may work for one may not work for someone else, so I know for me it has been trial & error with diet & meds but my meter tells me whats working & whats not.
Keep in touch :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We're looking forward to getting acquainted with you too, Franci . . . and sign up your husband also, if he's inclined toward commiserating with a bunch of equally afflicted and occasionally zany new friends!

Great news that you're growing the family you were told was impossible - right up to & including the weight-loss-inducing dog! It sounds like things are on the upswing, and I think you can keep it going that direction.

Big hugs from a fat old granny who's sitting here sipping her coconut oil & real cream-infused coffee! :D

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
A funny thing about PCOS...my endo says I've had it since early adolescent
days, but overlooked as a diagnosis because I had all the signs, but I only weighed 95 lbs at 5'5". I do remember then saying something about something I couldn't have because I was underweight and had been all my life. I had to have ovarian surgery to make me able to conceive. Now, I wonder how long my Diabetes went undiagnosed until I got heavy...and ended up asking for an A1C. My BG was never very high in the years I've been able to go back to...wish I'd started asking for copies of my blood work much sooner!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hello Franci, glad to have you here with us. I am fairly new to the forum myself and am learning a lot here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts