The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note and intro, I have had type II since 1986, always been on some form of medication, changed several times over the years. Just recently my bg has gone as high as 380 at 7 am. Since it has fallen to 137.
I am 63 fairly active around the house and shop but have a desk job with little or no activity. I started riding a stationary bike 3 times a week for 5 miles, the other days on weights. My levels go up significantly if I miss a day. Diet is pretty consistant. Still puzzled at the signifacant change that seems to be due to lack of exercise on one missed morning. I wonder if anyone else had this experience in the past. Thanks in advance. Eric

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Eric, welcome to DF. Can you tell us what medications you are on or insulins? Was that 380 a fasting number or an after meal number? I have always exercised even well before diabtes. One thing I have found when I started to test after exercise is that I spike significantly with exercise. It was explained to me it was from stress hormones during exercise. So I have switched up some of my exercise routines to shorter workouts more often. I try to avoid the 2-3 hour workout and opt for 60 minutes twice a day. The benefits of exercise should last well into the next day. I find it takes me about 4 hours to come down but my bgs will stay lower for 24-48 hours. In fact somedays if I skip exercise my bgs are actually lower. Can you tell us a little about your diet and what types of carbs you normally eat? Being diabetic is sometimes like being a medical detective to try to figure out all the quirks of this disease.

Reactions: Spunky

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Eric. I agree with jwags - if you want to tell us a little more about your meds & your way-of-eating . . . we just need a few more clues to crack this case. ;)

Thank you for joining us & I hope you can visit often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Eric, welcome to DF. Can you tell us what medications you are on or insulins? Was that 380 a fasting number or an after meal number? I have always exercised even well before diabtes. One thing I have found when I started to test after exercise is that I spike significantly with exercise. It was explained to me it was from stress hormones during exercise. So I have switched up some of my exercise routines to shorter workouts more often. I try to avoid the 2-3 hour workout and opt for 60 minutes twice a day. The benefits of exercise should last well into the next day. I find it takes me about 4 hours to come down but my bgs will stay lower for 24-48 hours. In fact somedays if I skip exercise my bgs are actually lower. Can you tell us a little about your diet and what types of carbs you normally eat? Being diabetic is sometimes like being a medical detective to try to figure out all the quirks of this disease.
Sorry for the delay, the 380 was pre breakfast. A little more history, 6 weeks ago I was off of actos 45 mg and and continued to take amryl. Bg was fine until a week ago. Numbers went up til I hit 380. I am now back on the actos and the numbers are coming back down but not to sub 120 pre breakfast as of yet.
Working to get back there. As much as I don't want to take actos I need it to make the numbers come down. Eric

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Warning: don't read if easily offended! :)

AMARYL® (glimepiride tablets) is an oral blood-glucose-lowering drug of the sulfonylurea class.

I am under the impression that any sulfonylurea will destroy most pancreases within 10 years, how long have you been taking it?

To me it would seem that after 25 years of diabetes you would have graduated from the "kiddie candy diabetes drugs" to a basal/bolus insulin. So are you well educated about type 2 diabetes?

ColaJim

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi and welcome Eric!

Exercise has had a major impact on my glucose, in addition to everyone else's positive feedback - I find that activity last 24 hours, providing you keep it consistent. I have managed to come off my oral meds on diet and exercise alone...with figures that non diabetics would be thrilled to have.

Welcome and looking forward to seeing you on the forum :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi and welcome Eric!

Exercise has had a major impact on my glucose, in addition to everyone else's positive feedback - I find that activity last 24 hours, providing you keep it consistent. I have managed to come off my oral meds on diet and exercise alone...with figures that non diabetics would be thrilled to have.

Welcome and looking forward to seeing you on the forum :).
I am interested in understanding your routine. Please expound on the details. Thanks. Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warning: don't read if easily offended! :)

AMARYL® (glimepiride tablets) is an oral blood-glucose-lowering drug of the sulfonylurea class.

I am under the impression that any sulfonylurea will destroy most pancreases within 10 years, how long have you been taking it?

To me it would seem that after 25 years of diabetes you would have graduated from the "kiddie candy diabetes drugs" to a basal/bolus insulin. So are you well educated about type 2 diabetes?

ColaJim
I was on metformin for a long period, woke up to the fact I had all the warning signs to stop. My MD at the time "suggested" insulin but I was determined to not go that route. Reason? A close friend went that route mismanaged it because of varied reasons, was dead in 11 months. He and I have the same routines, and I could see me doing the same.
I have been on Actos and Amaryl fo 2.5 years. It has worked well until I dropped the Actos.
Thus my question, has anyone else had this experiance?

FYI insulin therapy is not graduation it is surrender to me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
After many years of diabetes many of us lose beta cells in our pancreas. Some of this is poor management of diabetes, some of it may be the oral medications we are on. Adding insulin if you need it is very important when you reach that point. I would suggest you ask your doctor to run a C-peptide test to see where your pancreatic function is. If it comes back low, you need insulin. What happened to your friend is not usual and many live very full, healthy lives on insulin. As said above exercise is important but it will not undo years of damage to the pancreas. I exercised 2-3 hours a day most of my life and still got diabetes. Sometimes if you are dx'd early and have never exercised or dieted then changing diet and adding exercise will get you off meds and insulin but for a lot of us medication or insulin are part of our life even with insulin. I have normal bgs most of the time and rarely spike more than 20 points during the day but that is because of the metformin and very low carb diet. How is your diet?

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
Eric G said:
I was on metformin for a long period, woke up to the fact I had all the warning signs to stop. My MD at the time "suggested" insulin but I was determined to not go that route. Reason? A close friend went that route mismanaged it because of varied reasons, was dead in 11 months. He and I have the same routines, and I could see me doing the same.
I have been on Actos and Amaryl fo 2.5 years. It has worked well until I dropped the Actos.
Thus my question, has anyone else had this experiance?

FYI insulin therapy is not graduation it is surrender to me.
Think of this as war. Surrender or be shot and killed. The nice thing about this war is that you do get to choose which POW camp you go to. I'm heading for Stalag 13 to be one of Hogan's Heroes

·
Registered
335 Posts
Eric G said:
I am interested in understanding your routine. Please expound on the details. Thanks. Eric
Hi Eric

My routine is really simple...

I've always been a relatively fit person and eaten well most all my life (low carb for past 10 years) but I noticed my glucose levels had crept up to 6.5 -7.0 in the mornings. After a couple of weeks I discussed this with my GP, who ran tests which came back a possibly pre diabetic at 6.7. I was offered oral meds which I took and my BS started to come down rapid ally to around 5.2 fasting (after 4-6 of sickness ).

At this stage my work outs had reduced due to work commitments and very long days, however after settling down after the oral meds I started running in the mornings before work 5.00am for 30 mins and 20 mins after work. At this stage my BS came down directly to 4.5 -4.9, so I came off the oral meds. The first few days I had a slight increase of BS (5.5), but with increased consistent consistent activity my BS now range from 3.2 - 4.2.
I do suffer from DP, so my morning reading are generally the highest - although this does appear to be decreasing, my 2hr post meal BS average is 6.0.

In order to maintain my BS, I do have to eat low carb (max of 30 carbs) per day and exercise daily. I have no doubt I will need to continue this as time progresses (currently 44 and 110lbs). I do notice if I have 1 or 2 days off from sport my BS slightly increase, this is consistent and have tested this out for the past 6 weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts