The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Canada. I was diagnosed with Type 2 last Friday and am still dealing with the shock. I'm 45 and up until July 2016 I was relatively healthy.

In the last month this disease has come on very strong in me. My Doctor was shocked. previous tests a few months back did not show any issue.

My problems started with an unquenchable thirst. My tongue tip was also very sore. Because I didn't know what was happening, I was drinking anything and everything... ice teas, coke, water, juice, milk... you name it. That was stupid.

My vision went blurry and I felt dizzy like I would pass out. I felt like I was entering death mode.

So I visit my doctor, tell him I feel diabetic - based on my research. He tells me I'm nuts.... I come back in for results and Doc says, "well, you are diabetic now."

This was a week ago.... I have cut out almost all sugar since. I do consume sugar, but it is in extremely small amounts, like say 1gram in a Vitamin water or a single glass of 1% milk....

I am also drinking water like a camel.

He has me on some drugs that remove sugar from my body... generally I feel better, but today the thirst is really strong. I am drinking a lot of water. My tongue tip is a little sore... vision a tad blurry.

I am beside myself with grief and I don't want to be a whiner... I know you all have to deal with this or worse.... but can you tell me, if this on and off again intense thirst "normal"?

Do you get this happening to you regularly? Am I doomed to carry jugs of water on my back this point forward?

I really appreciate the time you take to read this.... Thank you.
:vs_cool:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
The thirst is due to high blood sugar and will go away when you get yours under control. When your blood sugar is over 180 mg/dl, your kidneys go into overdrive to help bring it down.

If you haven't already, ask your doctor for a copy of any labs done to tell that you are diabetic. It would help to know your A1C and original fasting blood sugar.

Also, sounds like you don't have a blood glucose meter yet so that you can test at home? That is one of the best tools you have to adjust what you are doing and bring your blood sugar down.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
first Welcome to the best place to help you with this information.

next I recommend that you read Blood Sugar 101/

You do NOT need to carry water around and it can be treated both from diet or medication.

also read the nutrition label for carbohydrates. If it has more than 5 or 10 grams in whatever it is... I would hesitate.

There will be a lot of information here to view and people will have great advice.

Write a log of everything you eat and the carb count for each. then you will see how your diet is

what was your blood glucose level? did he give you a meter?

I would recommend you try altering your diet first. You also need a meter. you need to see what spikes your blood and what doesn't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the info. I'm researching blood glucose monitors and will get one today.

I don't know my numbers, but will get that from my doctor. He's a bit of an idiot and I worry he is trying to kill me.... could he not have seen some pre-diabetic signs? Perhaps it is genetic and I was destined for this.

I did check out the Blood Sugar 101 and it looks like a pile of awesome info.

I'll get my numbers and a monitor. Thank you so much for the welcome and information :)

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Welcome Eckhart

You've come to a great place to get help and support for this new lifestyle of yours. It is very normal to spend a period of time grieving over lost health and what one thinks they will have to give up. We truly understand - we've all been where you are and know how much of an upset the diagnosis of diabetes can be.

I want to encourage you to read the bloodsugar101 site, and especially the section "How To Lower Your Blood Sugar" which is a way of testing that will give you the information you need to gain good control. On the forum we call that "Eat to Your Meter" and is discussed in detail here http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-treatment/78730-eat-your-meter-testing-method.html

Many of us are making the changes and gaining control of our diabetes without much input from our doctors. They are good for diagnosing, but what we share here is what has worked for us. I'd recommend that you also read other members intro threads. First, you won't feel at all alone. And you will be encouraged at how quickly one can get blood sugar levels down by reducing carbs and testing.

By the way, my diabetes came on quickly. My blood work was very normal one year, and the next it wasn't. When the change came about I'm not sure. But probably over a six month period of time.

We're glad you joined us.

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
Hi eckhart. Cutting out most sugars is a good start, cutting out all sugars would be better. But, even cutting out all sugars does not eliminate the majority of things that cause high blood sugar. Many things contain high amounts of carbohydrates that are converted to glucose (sugar) that enters your bloodstream. Reducing the sugars and carbs should help lower your BG and begin to alleviate the great thirst.

Yes getting diagnosed is a big shock and it first feels very devastating. Looking back for me, I see it as a life saver. The changes I've made because of it have made for a big improvement in my overall health. Being diabetic means you don't regulate your blood glucose in automatic mode anymore, kind of like having a car that the cruise control quits working. You just have to always control your speed by putting your foot on the gas or brake pedal.

Welcome to the forum, it is the best place I've ever found to help manage what I now look upon as an inconvenience.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
In another thread you mentioned that you are on metformin and Dapagliflozin

I would strongly urge you to do some research on this potentially dangerous drug, starting here SGLT2 Inhibitors, Farxiga, Invokana, Jardiance. Questionable New Drugs

You could probably do without it, and stick with metformin, if you were to make some changes to your diet and embrace low-carb/high-fat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts