Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Hi!

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  vicky3vicky 
#1 ·
Hi! My name is vicky. I am an old Autistic diabetic. I was diagnosed 12 years ago and was doing quite well until about 6 months ago when I gained 40 pounds and my sugars went sky high. So, now I am here.

I am retired and live in a small village in Colorado on the side of a mountain. We are blessed with children, ggrandchildren, GREAT grandchildren, chickens, and goats[ nigerian dwarf goats; the adorable ones you always see in youtube videos]

I have a multitude of health problems, from cancer, to heart disease, to hypothyroidism, to, oh yeah, diabetes. For a variety of reasons, I have pretty much isolated myself here, and hope that in this forum I can not only get help with my diabetes, but forge some friendships.

#2 ·
Welcome, Vicky!

It sounds like you've got lots of stories to tell us! Please feel free to look around and contribute as you can. There's a lot of experience and support here; I know there are posters here who consider this group part of their extended family.

So how are you managing your diabetes now? What are you eating and are you successfully juggling the meds you're on?

#3 ·
Hi Vicky....and welcome! My wife and I are both natives of Colorado, but haven't lived their for sometime. I was actually raised in a small town in the mountains, we still try and visit the mountains every year, but I could never go back to live in Colorado.

We are retired and I too am a type 2 diabetic. I joined this website in 2015 and after doing lots of reading on this site and going through Blood Sugar 101, a website I will attach to this email, I found I could control my blood sugar by changing how I ate. Checkout the website and get all the details....I did and that with all the support from others on this site, changed my life...I wish you the same....but first listen to the website to find out how easy it really is....

Good Luck

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

#4 ·
Hi Vicky, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of all your medical problems, but it seems diabetes can be linked directly/indirectly to many other issues. I'm giving it credit for my quad bypass surgery 4 years ago. Hopefully getting your diabetes back in check can also help with some of those other issues.

Colorado is a beautiful place, especially in the mountains. I lived in Colorado Springs for a couple of years in the 70's.

#5 ·
Hi Vicky, Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that you are battling other illnesses. You seem to have a great and positive disposition. Positivity is key.

Your village sounds wonderful. I can't even imagine living in a small village next to a mountain. How wonderful!

Hope you continue to post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.