The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
type 2
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a type 2 ... approx 21 years ago i was diagnosed. went to dr as i complained of headaches ..... i had recently had radiation for a brain tumor. the dr left office scratching his head. he came back in a minute and said he was going to check sugar. so here i am today.

i stayed ubder his care until cancer claimed his life ... in 2008 approx

new doctor 2008 to 2017. he left to go to a business as their in house doctor.

in 2008, i say the dr who took his place in the practice. new dr recently lost all of my respect.
a. he changed a blood pressure med without saying a word to me. when i asked why he said he thought the pharmacist had told me????
b. he prescribed glyxambi. cost became prohibitive with medicare and co insurance. he changed me to glipizide when i talked to him about costs. i went from controlled numbers to readings over 200. he said to give it time. this went on for 10 to 12 weeks. i asked about options.
c. i asked to be refered to a dietician. he told me to look at a web site that teaches how to become a vegitarian.
d. he prescribed olympia. this was over a call in visit. i asked how i would be trained on how to inject this. he said to pick up the sample and to watch the utubes to learn how to do this.
e. i have been testing three times per day for over 16 years. last month i ran out of strips. i asked pharmacy to dispence more for the quarter. i was told doctor changed me to one test per day. i wrote him and he told me to stop chasing numbers and test am only. i told him that i had used the quarter's strips. he had no reply. he told me that if i were a vegitarian, i would not worry about testing. just every three months an a1c test. then he wrote me that becoming a vegitarian was the only cure for diabetes.

no i am searching for a new dr.

i am a 68 year old male. retired. like to hunt and fish. have a grandson. i like to do wood working.

trying to learn so i joined this forum.

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
Welcome to our site, uglybear!

It sure sounds like this new doctor is either terribly disengaged or just hasn't bothered to learn much about modern approaches to managing diabetes. I hope you can find a new doctor soon.

I think you'll find there are many resources for you here -- summaries of studies, links to useful Web sites, and lots of information and support from other diabetics. Please take a look around and if you have questions for which you can't find answers, feel free to post them, and we'll see what information we can find for you.

btw I'm a grandpa myself and now have a grandson as of a few months ago. Nothing like it!

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Hi uglybear. Welcome to the forum.

I agree with you, time for a new doctor. I'd look until I found one that would work with and for me. Hopefully you have family or friends that have a doctor that they use and would highly recommend and not have trial and error with a visit. There are some doctor rating internet sites that might also be of help if they have patient comments in addition to the basic stuff that is provided.

There are several ways of eating that can be beneficial to managing our blood glucose, nothing from eating vegan to carnivore diets offers us a cure for diabetes. The best thing we can do is keep our BG levels in a safe range. Diet is key to minimize the main source of that glucose, carbohydrates. So even if you opted for a vegetarian diet, if you don't reduce carbs, you will still have high numbers. Testing daily before and after meals is the quickest way to know if you are doing getting control. The A1c tells you how you're doing 3 months too late. The fasting test is a little better as far as timeliness but still doesn't give us what we need, Not sure how your medical expenses are covered, but it could be your insurance doesn't cover multiple testing strips per day anymore. If thats the case, you could still purchase your own strips, but it may mean having to get a different meter that uses less expensive strips. You test a lot at first, then once you figure out what you can and can't eat to control your BG to a satisfactory level, you back off on testing, maybe even to the once a day.

Just turned 66 here Friday, also retired, grandpa to 6.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts