The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost every morning, I test before I leave the house and have a normal fasting BG, then I test again about an hour or 30 min later and my BG has increased substantially.
For instance, I go to bed around 9pm and have a BG reading around 150, then I test in the morning around 7:30 and get a fasting reading around 190, then I test again still without eating around 8:30 and get 250-375! Any ideas? I have tested during the night between 10 and midnight and get a normal reading.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I understand your post correctly, you are not eating when you awake. This is why you see that morning spike.

I find that my blood sugar drops to 80 at 3 am. If I do not counter it, I am in the 100's when I wake up.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Kendi, when you don't eat something regularly, there are hormones that trigger your liver to convert stored energy (glycogen) into glucose and secretes it into your blood stream so that your body cells don't starve. If you eat something of your own choosing, you can control the amount of "energy" by eating low-carb protein-rich foods which don't raise your BG. But when your liver dumps its stores, your BG will most likely rise sharply. This is part of the reason that diabetics keep something handy like beef or cheese sticks which they can use to head off the liver dump. I hope you'll try it - it works for me!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts