The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the relationship between high blood sugars and a weakened immune system? Ever since i've showed symptoms of diabetes, and found out i had it , i catch any bug that is the air and constantly fighting colds, sinus infections, etc.... I've read books, asked my drs and still confused. Before i had diabetes i had the constitution of a horse, i very seldom got sick but now it's all the time. I'm on antibiotics all the time and they very seldom are effective. Any insight into this will be greatly appreciated. "Mikey"

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When your bgs are high, you will get more infections. I think it is because bacteria thrives with the extra sugar. As you lower your bgs your immune system should get stronger. Also many of us take supplements. I take Vit D, CoQ10, Calcium and sometimes Alpha Lipoic Acid.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I can only speak from personal experience, but in the years before my diagnosis, I was always getting sick (4-5 times per year) and each time would last at least a week, often two. I would be so sick that I couldn't sleep with horrible sore throats, headaches, weakness, and coughing.

Since getting my blood sugar under control, I have only gotten sick a handful times (almost three years) and my immune system manages to fight them all off after a day or so. The symptoms never get bad - I just feel a little 'under the weather' - and then boom! it's gone.

·
Registered
930 Posts
What is the relationship between high blood sugars and a weakened immune system? Ever since i've showed symptoms of diabetes, and found out i had it , i catch any bug that is the air and constantly fighting colds, sinus infections, etc.... I've read books, asked my drs and still confused. Before i had diabetes i had the constitution of a horse, i very seldom got sick but now it's all the time. I'm on antibiotics all the time and they very seldom are effective. Any insight into this will be greatly appreciated. "Mikey"
As I understand it your blood sugar needs to be under 100 mg/dl for your immune system to function properly and at 120 mg/dl your immune system is 75% deactivated.
However if you have been taking a lot of antibiotics your tongue should be turning white by now. Candida will have perforated your gut thus becoming systemic through out your body thus letting in not only pathogenic germs but also alien proteins that your now defunct immune system will try unsuccessfully to contain causing even more inflammation. You really may need to consult an alternate or holistic doctor to help you. I use the forbidden Bob Beck protocol and 10 strain probiotics to control my antibiotic induced infections.

ColaJim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts