The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever experienced mental cloudyness(confusion) or lightheadedness when there blood sugars get high? When my blood sugars are over 200, which for me was the norm, i noticed a lack of the ability to think straight, it's like when my bs get high i feel like i'm loaded and then when they come down i feel hungover. At any rate i've noticed a lack of clearheadedness when it's high. When i get my bs back to normal will my thinking improve? Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks. Mikey

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Yes-yes-yes. I asked about that when I was diagnosed, 'cause I couldn't find it in the literature they gave me. The nurse replied that confusion should be added to the symptoms list.

My own fog is lifting, but I could use a little more sunshine. I suspect part of that is due to the sudden need to deal with a chronic disease.

Reactions: MIKEYROBERT

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I had similar problems, even my spelling and grammar were going to the dogs. At first I thought it was because I was going through menopause. Now I know it was from high bgs. Now that I am keeping bgs closer to normal (100) my mind is clear. Last summer I was having some terrible reactions to statins which caused a lot of muscle pain. My bgs were terrible and my brain and thinking processes were totally fogged out.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Those things actually happen to me when my sugars get too LOW, and i use it as a reminder that it is time to eat something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had similar problems, even my spelling and grammar were going to the dogs. At first I thought it was because I was going through menopause. Now I know it was from high bgs. Now that I am keeping bgs closer to normal (100) my mind is clear. Last summer I was having some terrible reactions to statins which caused a lot of muscle pain. My bgs were terrible and my brain and thinking processes were totally fogged out.
I have been blaming a lot of things on menapause but starting to think this sugar flux is more to blame. I didnt know I was supposed to mention to the doc about the "dizziness", I just assumed everyone felt that.

G

·
I think I notice I'm more irritable when I have high BGL and I get really thirsty. I do get short term memory loss too. lol. I don't like going too low or too high. I was reading somewhere recently that it's a lot worse on your body short term to go too low than it is too high. Going too low (less than 4/72) you're draining your brain of energy and I didn't know that going too low can cause brain damage... I only ever knew of the common ones like shakiness, weakness, nausea, slurred speech, seizure, coma. I do notice after a hypo that I'm not the brightest for a few hours. It's going to make me more vigilant I think to prevent hypos as well as hypers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For these low and highs, are most of you relying on how you feel or are you testing? How often does one test?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
For these low and highs, are most of you relying on how you feel or are you testing? How often does one test?
Testing and more testing, here. In addition to my standard tests -- waking, before and after meals, and bedtime -- I test whenever I feel weird(er than usual).

Reactions: Madea

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I had problems when I was REALLY high, like 3 - 400's ... now I have more problems when I am low. Like in the morning, before lunch ... think not good! I save my more taxing work for after I eat.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
When one is new to D Type2, they will test more often because ey are learning what they can and cannot eat.

After awhile of really tight control, there is no need to test all that often. I test two times a day, and even my Endo told me that is too often. I test when I wake up, and before dinner. Mornings I aim for 80 and before before dinner I like to be in the mid 70s

G

·
when taking insulin it's different... you have to test and I test an average of 6 times per day, and sometimes a lot more than that. When you go too low you learn quick to be safe about it. Even with all my testing I still don't always avoid hypos and hypers. This condition is not easy to manage... I'm chewing through test strips at the moment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
when taking insulin it's different... you have to test and I test an average of 6 times per day, and sometimes a lot more than that. When you go too low you learn quick to be safe about it. Even with all my testing I still don't always avoid hypos and hypers. This condition is not easy to manage... I'm chewing through test strips at the moment.
Why are you on so much medication? If your insulin is causing so many hypos I would get that checked out. It's supposed to stablize and level out your bg's not make you bottom out!
Going into hypo is scarey! My lowest was 40! :eek:
I thought I was gonna die! Seriously. But now I'm sensitive to it. So when or IF I even get to 70 I start to feel weird(er) than normal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ThoseBackPages said:
Those things actually happen to me when my sugars get too LOW, and i use it as a reminder that it is time to eat something.
I get this when high and low. Not only is my thinking clouded,my memory is the worst. I hate that feeling....especially if it's due to a hypo because then I'm exhausted physically AND I can't think straight on top of it.so frustrating

·
Registered
58 Posts
When my BG goes low I can't type a sentence lol Subject verb agreement goes out the door...

When it goes high I loose patience,and become a whirlwind. Then I have to crash and ride it out. Until the insulin does its thing.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I lost my insurance and couldn't afford my insulin or Metformin, my blood sugars would mostly be in the 400-500 range for over a month. I got lost driving several times because I couldn't remember the freeway turnoffs. I am 45, so yes high BGL's can cause confusion and cloudiness.
I unfortunately have had to get aid and with my meds back...I am clearheaded once again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts