Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

High blood sugars

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Shalynne 
#1 ·
Since diagnosis I have been very dedicated to lowering my levels.However am very frustrated. I am currently on Metformin ER 1500 daily and Levemir 20 in the am and 20 in the pm (6a/8p). I never go over 20 carbs per day I usually do not even have 10/day. I am not miscounting and do not cheat. Have even lost 10lbs this past 30 days due to lo-carbing. My blood sugars fasting are around 145 and when I eat anything I spike. A piece of baked chicken plain or a boiled egg sends me over 200 for hours. My md said to keep increasing Levemir by 5units until I get where I want.just how high is safe. Find out my A1c today.why do lo-carb foods spike me so bad.

#2 ·
I find I get my highest bg spikes from hormones , not foods. Increasing your insulin should help with this. Because when the hormones signal your liver to convert glycogen into glucose and raise your bg then injected insulin can balance it out. As D's our endocrine system is messed up and we don't get the correct balance of hormones.

#3 ·
MD raised me to 25units twice daily times 3 days and then 30 units twice daily ongoing. A1c was 6.9 which surprises me. I didn't think it would even be that low. Now I can work on improving it further. MD says I am very resistant and not to worry about going higher with the Levemir doses. Will give it a try.

#4 · (Edited)
KW6536 said:
MD raised me to 25units twice daily times 3 days and then 30 units twice daily ongoing. A1c was 6.9 which surprises me. I didn't think it would even be that low. Now I can work on improving it further. MD says I am very resistant and not to worry about going higher with the Levemir doses. Will give it a try.
I wonder why he doesn't increase your metformin cause the insulin will not help the insulin resistance

#5 ·
Many type 2's who are insulin resistant may need much more insulin than a type 1. Most find the metformin or a similar drug will help. I had to raise mine to 2550 before I saw lower bgs. You say you are eating very low carb. Are you eating enough fat at meals? I find if I don't eat enough I do get liver dumps.

#6 ·
Are you a double diabetic?

I am a T2, I read T1 posts I see that some T1s need to bolus for ALL foods not just carbs.

eggs usually do not spike T2 but can spike a T1

Some insulin resistant people take over 200 IU a day so take what you need.

#7 ·
You also may want to check into if you are LADA ( slow onset type 1) Many adults who are dx'd as type 2's may be misdiagnosed especially if they are a little overweight. Ask your doctor for a GAD antibody test and C Peptide test.

#8 ·
I am on over 100 units of Lantus. My doctor told me not to worry about how much insulin I need, what is important is to keep your blood sugar under control.

#10 ·
Your MD sounds very smart!

And your dedication is most admirable!

When I was first diagnosed (insulin-dependent T2), I spiked on everything as well. It took a few dosage adjustments to get to where I can eat. (I was really lucky to be able to get email consultations.)

I don't know why it is, but for some of us, simply filling our stomachs triggers a spike, unless we medicate.

Others Who Know More than I: Is that what's known as the Chinese Restaurant Effect? I think I saw that on another forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.