The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started on Keflex last Wednesday 21 st July because of cystitis with a large amount of blood in my urine- MSU test showed a large E. Coli infection. The script plus repeat for Keflex immediately caused my BSl's to soar to the extent that I am having difficulty controlling them with Lantus plus Novo-Rapid plus Jardiamet tablets. It is as if I was not taking any insulin at all. Eating and activity levels are the same as usual. I normally manage with about 10 units of Lantus once per day plus occasional 4 units Novo-Rapid about once every few days, plus Jardiamet twice a day. Now I still have high levels with 60 units Lantus once a day, 6 or more units of Novo-Rapid at each meal plus the Jardiamet twice a day. Has anyone else experienced this with Keflex?

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
I should think it's a combination of the infection and the antibiotic. I'm so sorry you have this bad infection. I had an e-coli bladder infection that didn't respond to the usually prescribed meds, and it took a special IV antibiotic to get rid of it. (my doc referred me to an infectious diseases doc, which I felt was a good move on her part)

I think that the only thing you can do is to go as low on carbs as possible so that they aren't contributing to the BG rise. You could also ask for a different antibiotic, one that is specific to e-coli.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should think it's a combination of the infection and the antibiotic. I'm so sorry you have this bad infection. I had an e-coli bladder infection that didn't respond to the usually prescribed meds, and it took a special IV antibiotic to get rid of it. (my doc referred me to an infectious diseases doc, which I felt was a good move on her part)

I think that the only thing you can do is to go as low on carbs as possible so that they aren't contributing to the BG rise. You could also ask for a different antibiotic, one that is specific to e-coli.
I was on holiday for my Dad's funeral in Canberra and got the script from there so I cannot go back and get a different script.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Antibiotics have not raised my BG... however infections SURE do raise BG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts