The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
7.4 mmol/L (134 mg/dL) !! This is the first time after my diagnosis nearly six years ago that I see such a high morning fasting reading. Did my liver dump so much glucose into the blood stream? Well, the story is somewhat interesting.

More than 3 months ago, I put the few remaining strips from a can in a small plastic bag, wrapped it up, wrapped a rubber band around the wrapped up plastic bag and safely kept in a drawer to take it to work the next day (once in a while I test at work.) But the next day I forgot about it; I opened another can and began using strips from the newly opened can. I forgot about the little plastic bag for the next 3 months. Yesterday I found the little wrapped up bag and decided to use the few strips in it. Today morning I unwrapped the bag, took a strip and used it to check my fasting BG. The meter read 7.2 (132). I was shocked. My wife came along just then. Normally she wouldn't allow me to prick her fingers but today she did. She was 7.3!! When did she become a hard-core diabetic? I took one more strip and tested my BG again. This time it was 7.4! I took a strip out of a recently opened can and tested again. The reading was 5.6 (102). Although a tad higher, this was more like my usual morning fasting BG readings.:smile:

I threw the rest of the few strips in the plastic bag into the garbage bin.

Regards,
Rad

P.S. I tested my 1 hour post prandial after a relatively high carb breakfast of Dosa (thin pancake made of a batter of rice and urad dal) and Sambar (a spicy soup-like curry). The reading was 7.4 (134). Fine for a non-low carbing diabetic like me. :smile:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Glad you weren't really that high! I save a couple of empty strip containers and use them when I want to split out a small supply - now I'm glad that I do!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts