The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm 29 year old. Just yesterday I had took Hba1c test and my reading was 12.5, but the thing is that I be no symptoms of diabetes, my weight increased 1 kg in last 2 months, I m not frequently tired, not I'm obese, neither I smoke or take alcohol, neither I drink sweet coffee or tea or milk, only sweet thing I want is chocolates, that too at moderate level one in 3-4 days. I m not athletic, but also don't live a sedentry life style..I'm so confused what to do ?

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Hello, Priyanka. Welcome to the forum.

Was this test done at a clinic? If it was, did they have any comment on the results? It is possible to have diabetes without seeing all the classic symptoms. I guess what I would do right now is ask for a re-test. Maybe the test you got was not done right.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
If you indeed do have diabetes (and the test was accurate), then you are one lucky person. However, that may not continue to be the case and at least making a change in your diet would be prudent.

While many T2 diabetics are overweight, there are plenty who are slim - and have a healthy lifestyle.

The site www.bloodsugar101.com is a good place to learn about diabetes, its causes, and treatment. We highly recommend this site for a good understanding of diabetes.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi, I'm 29 year old. Just yesterday I had took Hba1c test and my reading was 12.5, but the thing is that I be no symptoms of diabetes, my weight increased 1 kg in last 2 months, I m not frequently tired, not I'm obese, neither I smoke or take alcohol, neither I drink sweet coffee or tea or milk, only sweet thing I want is chocolates, that too at moderate level one in 3-4 days. I m not athletic, but also don't live a sedentry life style..I'm so confused what to do ?
Hi Priyanka...there are a bunch of other tests also that the doctor may have asked for ? Are you other readings ok ? The good news is that you can get this under control....very very qucikly. I was diagnosed at 29 years of age at a Hba1c 12.6. I went down to 5.7 is 4 months.. I did have a lot of weight to loose which I had gained over the last 3-4 years before diagnosis, but had no other bad habits (drink,smoke,sugar addictions etc...)

Diabetes can happen to anyone and sometimes for no apparent logical reason... I have seen chain smokers live long lives into the 90s and some very young acquaintances die of cancer.... life is unfair and unpredictable.....I think dont get bothered by the "why"....focus on on "what do I do next".... but remember this is controllable. Thats the good thing about diabetes...

The focus is to remain on the journey and not to loose focus (like I did for a few years).....

You will find exercise and diet (not with the objective of weight management) will play a very important part in your D management strategy....

Tell us about your other test results, doctor recommendations, diet and physical activity....

Where are you from btw ?

Tony

Reactions: VeeJay and mbuster

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi Priyanka, when I was diagnosed, my A1C was 10.5. I didn't have the classic diabetic symptoms either. The only reason I went to see the doctor was because I changed insurance companies and doctors. I actually went for a meet and greet.

In hindsight, the only symptom I can say I had was that my lips were starting to get dry, but I thought it was menopause :biggrin:.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, Priyanka. Welcome to the forum.

Was this test done at a clinic? If it was, did they have any comment on the results? It is possible to have diabetes without seeing all the classic symptoms. I guess what I would do right now is ask for a re-test. Maybe the test you got was not done right.
Yes, at a clinic. The doctor, however asked for re-test and a couple of other tests as well.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Many potentially dangerous health conditions do not always reveal themselves with symptoms. Blood Pressure is an other one that you can have a problem that you never will know, unless someone takes your blood pressure. Just like diabetes, undiagnosed high blood pressure will also kill you! I am glad your doctor and you are working to define the facts.

The good news is that both blood pressure and diabetes can be controlled, they do not have to be life threatening....

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
9,514 Posts
Hello Priyanka_sh, welcome to the forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts