The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I put in a previous post I have ben splitting my mealtime insulin into two doses. For the past few days my numbers have ben great for me under 160 even some under 90. But I've noticed I'm still waking up on the 300's. I have found something to keep me from being hungry during the day. I drink hot chicken broth made from sodium free chicken bouillon powder

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you eat before going to bed? (Including any snacks). Whats your BG before going to bed and do you test at all in the middle of the night?

·
Registered
106 Posts
i found that i have to eat before bed [cheeze or hard boid egg whites] or my waking BG will be higher by 20-30 points. i usually get up at 6:00am but found if i sleep in a couple of hours my BG will be 20-30 points higher also.

·
Registered
94 Posts
But I've noticed I'm still waking up on the 300's.
It's called the dawn phenomenon where blood glucose tends to naturally rise in the morning.

Being a Type 1 and knowing that your body does this, you may want to eliminate an evening snack. Are you on injections or pump? My pump allows me to program an increased dose to compensate for the mornings. If you're not on a pump, you could perhaps ask your doctor if there's anyway to adjust your long-acting overnight insulin to compensate for the higher BGs in the morning.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'd like to repeat Mike's question - did you test in the night to make sure you don't have hypos? High morning numbers could be due to a rebound from this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts