The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some help, my numbers are so high I think I might just pass out one of these days over 200 in the mornings an over 400 at night, I am on metformin 900 mg 2x per day, with that i have lost a lot of weight , regular insulin 2x per day. I do eat a lot of carbs, I would really like to try the LCHF diet, do not know what to use as sub for the carbs. Need help with some recipes especially breakfast and lunch I usually brown bag every day a sandwich or crackers and peanut butter with orange and ripe banana or pear. I try to keep juice to a minimal . I do drink a lot of water, but with all the carbs I am eating I think it's beginning to affect me.
My toes feels tingling sometimes and my urine has this sweet odor. Sometimes I get this excruciating musle cramp in my legs especially at nights last for about 2-3 mins

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I do eat a lot of carbs,
You know what the problem is, so you're ahead of the game. Do I ever have some great reading material for you :) - a wealth of information, the sort I poured over as I was changing my diet as well.

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/6633-whats-breakfast.html
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/6926-whats-lunch.html
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/4227-whats-dinner.html

and my personal favorite:

Diabetes Recipes - The Diabetes Forum - Building a New Community to Serve Diabetics Online

Welcome to the forum! Glad you're here and poised to turn this around. It's possible, and it's not magic, though once we have our blood sugar under control it surely feels like it!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
First, a big hearty :welcome: to the forum from me!

I really need some help, my numbers are so high I think I might just pass out one of these days over 200 in the mornings an over 400 at night,
Wow, you're right, those numbers are high - far too high. Glad you're here, and I hope we can help!

I am on metformin 900 mg 2x per day, with that i have lost a lot of weight , regular insulin 2x per day. I do eat a lot of carbs, I would really like to try the LCHF diet, do not know what to use as sub for the carbs.
Sub healthy fat wherever possible. Protein in moderation unless you're doing more-intense weight-training or endurance events.

Need help with some recipes especially breakfast and lunch I usually brown bag every day a sandwich or crackers and peanut butter with orange and ripe banana or pear. I try to keep juice to a minimal . I do drink a lot of water, but with all the carbs I am eating I think it's beginning to affect me.
Moon pointed out some great recipes.

For breakfast in a hurry I have a few tricks:

• Make omelets the night before and then I can just nuke 'em quick.
  • Make up some 'oopsie' rolls to use for breakfast muffins. I can nuke one egg in a greased cup quickly, and top with ham and cheese and some seasoning. 3 minutes total prep time and it's good to go.
  • I make up bacon in advance - I usually do 8-12 slices at a time then cut them in half and store them in a container in the fridge. Then I can use them quickly for breakfast sandwiches, add as a side to my omelet, whatever, without cooking.
For lunch there's a few tricks:

• Skip the fruit until your sugars are under control. Substitute single servings of cheese, or pepperoni, maybe some flavored almonds (without too much sugar), etc. Those are low-carb without being low-flavor.
  • Instead of a sandwich, try low-carb tortilla wraps. Some have as little as 10g of carb, vs. over 40 for 2 slices of bread. The ones I use claim 3g of net carb - having 7g of dietary fiber.
  • Alternately, take two oopsie rolls in one container... lettuce, tomato, pickle and onion in another... and a nice big juicy sirloin beef burger topped with cheese in another... Then warm up your burger patty and combine ... eat a great big low-carb cheeseburger in front of your co-workers, they'll love you for it.
  • Skip most crackers - they're one of the least-nutritious and overly-processed refined carb you can have. The folks on the forum can point you to decent crackers if you need.
  • Don't drink juice. It's got just as much sugar as a Coke or pepsi. If you need something other than water, have a diet soda or crystal light or whatever, but drink it with your meal.
  • If you've gotta have bread for your sandwich - make it sprouted-grain bread and ONLY USE ONE PIECE. Have a half-sandwich piled as high as you can with healthy meats, cheeses and vegetable toppings.
  • And never, ever, ever eat a "light" yogurt. Eww. Most are low fat with nearly as much sugar as a can of Coke in order to make them palatable.
My toes feels tingling sometimes and my urine has this sweet odor. Sometimes I get this excruciating musle cramp in my legs especially at nights last for about 2-3 mins
You NEED to cut all carbs wherever possible. As such, you'll likely need to adjust insulin, as well, to avoid hypos.

Check out "How to Lower Your Blood Sugar" at BloodSugar101, it's some of the most valuable advice you can find.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
741 Posts
hi and welcome newface :) feel free to ask as many questions as you need to...we've all been where you are

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. You say you take regular insulin 2 x per day. Is this fast acting or long acting insulin and do you take a set amount? Long acting insulin like Lantus or Levemir takes the place of your basal insulin. Usually doctors start you on a small dose and you slowly to increase it until your morning bgs fall to desired level. Fast acting insulin is used before meals and should be calibrated to the exact carbs you eat. There are some mixed insulin that some doctors still prescribe but the accuracy is not as good. The LC/HF diet works for many of us. I use my bg meter to determine what my 2 hour pp numbers are. I aim for the lower bgs 110-120. So I limit my carbs to achiever those bg goals. To do this I have to avoid bread, crackers and fruit. But the good thing is I have learned to make my own LC versions of bread and crackers using almond flour and flaxseed. You could use these for lunch. I would ditch the fruit. One thing I had to learn was that so called "healthy" foods are not healthy for my bgs. For lunch you can take any kind of salad with added protein. You can eat any type of protein and veggies. Use large lettuce leaves as wraps. They also have LC tortillas which make great wraps. Hard Boiled eggs, dill pickles and raw veggies and dip are also a good alternative.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, new face! You've been given all the wisdom you need and if you do it, you'll experience a seeming miracle. I love oopsies as buns. I sometimes take them with me to the barbecue place and they use them as my bun on my sandwich.

Good luck and stay in touch,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts