The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I all just want abit of advice, i was diagnosed about a year ago with type 1 and must admit i have not really looked after myself at all but am tryin to start again. Last few nights i hav been havin readings of about 4 mm - 5mm before my tea then about 2 hours after tea my readings have been 14-15mm. For tea i have been havin stuff like prawn sandwiches or pasta vegs and couple of tea cakes. Am i not havin enough insulin or am i havin too much carbohydrates what are kicking in way after my tea? My readings about an hour after tea are good about 6mm so why do they shoot so highall of a sudden???

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Hello! Welcome!

Bread, pasta and cake are all things that will raise your blood sugar. It's possible the insulin you take helps in the short term but then it runs out and your sugars go high. You need to really cut back on the carbs, and watch your insulin intake as you do so. Check out the Blood Sugar 101 site for a lot of great info, and ask us anything you like!

·
Registered
506 Posts
My readings about an hour after tea are good about 6mm so why do they shoot so highall of a sudden???
I'm no expert and I don't use insulin, but my guess would be that you are eating carbohydrates which tend to raise blood glucose levels a little more slowly. Pasta in particular will not raise at the 1 hour post meal time, but will raise levels at 2 hours, or 3 hours or even 4 hours. If you eat something like pasta or whole grain bread, then you should probably continue testing at the 3 and 4 hour marks, to see just how high you're going.

My recommendation, too, would be to drop those items from your menus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts