The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’ve been diagnosed type 2 for three years now. When first dx’d, my a1c was 12.2 and I was able to get it down to 6.6 but now it has crept back up to 9.7 with blood sugars over 500 at least a few times a week and consistently in the 3-400 range. My diet is the same while my exercise has increased two fold. I basically (attempt to) speed walk 4-5 miles a day.

I am finally seeing an endocrinologist this week, a video visit, and I am worried about having to get insulin shots and/or a pump as I was told that this is a likely scenario by my PCP.
I’m currently on metformin, tradjenta and glipizide.
Are there any other meds for me to talk to my endocrinologist about? What kind of blood work will she seek? Also, I read numerous accounts of how to treat my 500+ sugars, from going to the ER to walking and drinking water. What do people recommend? My PCP didn’t really bat an eye when I told her I was hitting over 500 which I thought was odd.
Thank you for any help or pointers! Chris

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
Hi, Chris! Welcome to our site.

You're already on two or three of the most common diabetes medications, medications that have displayed greater acceptance with patients and lower levels of side effects. But either adding medications or changing to new ones may have more side effects that you likely don't want to deal with.

One alternative is to change what you eat. The standard American eating plan for diabetics includes more carbohydrates than the body needs on a daily basis and the need for medication to counter that many carbs. Many people on this site have reduced or eliminated the need for medications or insulin by greatly reducing their intake of carbohydrates. Is this something that would be of interest to you to avoid additional medication? We can provide a number of resources to help you start a low-carb eating plan.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Welcome, Chris! I'm surprised at your PCP's reaction to a 500+ blood sugar. I agree with itissteve--an alternative is to change your diet.
You've come to the right place for support and encouragement. Hope to see you back here and let us know how your televisit goes.

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. I agree with the others, with what you are now taking, throwing more meds at it is usually not the best choice. A change in diet would be a better starting point but may not be what works either. The side effects from diet change are virtually nil, while meds are usually not.

I would ask the endo to test for Type 1 diabetes, there are several tests that can be done to confirm. Although initially diagnosed as a Type 2, it could be you are Type 1.5 (LADA Type 1). It is usually misdiagnosed as Type 2 early on, as you were still producing your own insulin.

Even if not Type 1/1.5, getting on insulin may be the better choice of meds. If your pancreas is not capable of producing enough insulin, the tradjenta and the glip are worthless. If it was me, I'd want the metformin and insulin and be looking for a new PCP.

Do let us know how the endo appointment goes.

Reactions: rglosson

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone, thank you all so much for your words of wisdom! I would certainly be open to the low carb diet. Tomorrow is my ‘big day’ so I will let you all know how the televisit goes. Apparently the endocrinologist I chose is excellent. :)
Thanks again everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts