The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would having a cold and congestion cause a spike in BG's? My pd #'s are up, they are usually in the 5's and the last few days thay have been in the low 7's and a nice 8.4 this morning after breakfast. My fasting was even up this morning to 5.9, which is usually high 4's low 5's.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
When I get a cold, asthma or any kind of infection my BG goes up, and I think this is normal.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you are fighting off a cold or sinus infection your immune system goes into overdrive. Because of this your body may procuce extra stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol that will signal liver to make extra glucose to help you deal with those nasty germs. Hope you feel better.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I appreciate the answers. I know it's only gone up a point or 2 but to me that is big.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes it's very common for sugars to climb when you are sick. The last bad cold I had, I just stayed in bed with a bottle of brandy. I wanted to see which would last longer, the cold of the brandy. At least it doesn't add to the sugars.

I really like your sig quote PC and haven't seen that one before. It's true and who would have expected that from Groucho? I'm a quote fan, and that reminded me, it's time to update mine.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love a good quote too. Thank you all for your replies. Bg's are back to normal, well normal for a diabetic!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes it's very common for sugars to climb when you are sick. The last bad cold I had, I just stayed in bed with a bottle of brandy. I wanted to see which would last longer, the cold of the brandy. At least it doesn't add to the sugars.
Now that's a remedy I'm willing to try! :D

I don't get colds or other passing "bugs" since I retired from the workforce - not getting exposed is a great way to stay well!

·
Registered
118 Posts
My last Cold a few weeks ago, my numbers stayed in 8's and even 9's at some point. Not fun at all but hey, from time to time.

Do any of you crave more carb when u are sick. It's funny, because I did.

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts