The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a week of being on the LCHF diet my post meal BGL has greatly improved. However, I've noticed that my fasting BGL is constantly higher than my 2 hour post-dinner BGL. For instance yesterday my my post dinner BG was 97, this morning (about 8 hours after dinner) it was 103. I've read that the body is more insulin intolerant in the morning, is that why it's been higher? If so should I do my next fasting blood test for doctor later in the day for a more accurate result?

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
It's called Dawn Phenomenon (DP) and it consists of glucose being excreted by your liver (which stores this in the form of glycogen).

This is a normal wake-up function of your body. Unfortunately, we diabetics don't have the accompanying insulin release that non-diabetics have, so BG can climb rather high after waking.

One way to stop this glucose "dump" is to eat something immediately after waking to signal to the liver that you've eaten and it doesn't need to continue putting out glucose.

However, your 103 reading isn't all that high for DP. Nothing to worry about at this early stage of your new lifestyle.

It helps to remember that BG doesn't remain static. Your body is busy even when you are sleeping and BG levels fluctuate even then. What it was when you went to bed is never going to be what it is when you wake up.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
For an explanation, have a look at Why Is Blood Sugar Highest in the Morning? .

However, in this case I'd agree with Marsha. The difference in the two readings could simply be meter variance. For instance my meter, an Accu-Chek has a standard that allows only a bit less than 60% of readings to be within 5%. A small proportion of readings can be out by a whacking 20%.

·
Registered
269 Posts
After a week of being on the LCHF diet my post meal BGL has greatly improved. However, I've noticed that my fasting BGL is constantly higher than my 2 hour post-dinner BGL. For instance yesterday my my post dinner BG was 97, this morning (about 8 hours after dinner) it was 103. I've read that the body is more insulin intolerant in the morning, is that why it's been higher? If so should I do my next fasting blood test for doctor later in the day for a more accurate result?
Ronnie‘s blood sugar is almost always elevated around 129 in the AM till about 10;00. Starting about 3 AM. that Is dawn phenomon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts