The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I haven't been here in a long time, but I hope to be more active on the boards now. I have a question. I don't feel my GP is doing all he can for me even though I'm Pre-D. I told him today that my fasting bgs have been higher on some days of the week than they usually are. I am usually 98-105 now that I'm on double the dose of metformin (2000mg ER) and a few days a week I'm getting as high as 119. I think my D is progressing unfortunately. But I told my doc today and he didn't seem concerned at all. He didn't say anything about it and kept on typing into his stupid little computer. He barely even acknowledged me. I gave him my spreadsheet of bg's I've taken over the past few weeks and he barely looked at them and set them aside.

Otherwise, he is a good doctor. But he has made it completely clear to me that he only cares about my A1C and if its below 6.5 then he doesn't worry about it. Well it's gone up .2 points in 3 months to 6.1%.

I found an endo that has an office near me (thankfully!) and I'm going to call tomorrow to see if they can see me without a referral. I have called endos before and they all said i needed a referral from my GP. So I'm not wanting to get a referral because I don't want a scene with my GP. He is the kind of doctor that has to be the head-honcho when it comes to my care. He is very controlling and can be condescending at times. He hates it that I research everything on the internet (I do have tons of health issues). So I'm trying to be quiet about wanting to go to an endo for my diabetic care. Plus I should see an endo because I have a slow thyroid and am on synthroid for it and I have PCOS. So I'm hoping I can be seen without a referral. Otherwise I'm going to have to call and leave a message to get a referral to that endo. or any endo. I'd much prefer someone who is close to my house. :)

What do you think? Am I doing the right thing?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Unfortunately most doctors don't get upset with HbA1c's in the low 6's like yours. In fact many doctors use 7% as the goal for diabetics. Your morning bgs are probably a result of dawn phenomenom. Even though I am pretty much controlled my morning bgs are all over the place due to hormone production. I know how frustrating it can be. Do you ever wake up early and take your bg. Many times I find the earlier I wake up the lower my bgs are. Even if I sleep in to 6:30 my bgs will be 10 points higher.

·
Registered
137 Posts
From your signature it appears you've lost 31 pounds in a couple months. Sounds like you're doing everything you can do. If I were in your situation, yes, I'd go see an endo or at the least a more concerned gp. Congratulations on a fabulous effort thus far.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You are paying your doctor. You are his boss not the other way round. If he makes a fuss about referring you to an endo I would suggest finding another doctor

Tony

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Any doctor that thinks he has to make all the decisions regarding your health has an "ego" problem. I had the same problem shortly after I was diagnosed with diabetes. I wanted to see an Endocrinologist for my diabetic care and needed a referral. I took the bull by the horns and asked my GP for that referral and he absolutely refused. I was disgusted with his attitude, so I found myself a new doctor and he had no problem giving me a referral. It is your health - not your doctor's. Who will suffer complications from anything that is related to diabetes?? Not your doctor.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
10 Posts
From your signature it appears you've lost 31 pounds in a couple months. Sounds like you're doing everything you can do. If I were in your situation, yes, I'd go see an endo or at the least a more concerned gp. Congratulations on a fabulous effort thus far.
From the dates in her signature, it appears she has gained 31 pounds not lost them.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
My doc got concerned when my a1c reached 6, so if yours is going up he should be more concerned, you would think. Maybe ask him why it doesn't concern him? If you do it right, he might even suggest a referral to the endo himself. :)

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
You are the master of your own domain. If you want to see an Endo, see an Endo. Be prepared for the backlash though. But your health is your decision.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I've gained 30 pounds, not lost :(

Thanks for your support, guys. I'll be calling an endos office in a few minutes to see if I can be seen. If I need a referral I'll call my GP and request one. Thanks :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts