The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the title of the post what I really want to talk about are the lows that you get. Now I don't mean those pesky lows that make you eat something that you really don't like but those really bad ones that reander you unconcious and unable to provide for your self. I have had them too many times to count and have had some expensive rides that I didn't even get to enjoy. So what is your low time story. I only shared a little bit there is much more.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Despite the title of the post what I really want to talk about are the lows that you get. Now I don't mean those pesky lows that make you eat something that you really don't like but those really bad ones that reander you unconcious and unable to provide for your self. I have had them too many times to count and have had some expensive rides that I didn't even get to enjoy. So what is your low time story. I only shared a little bit there is much more.
I have been fortunate to never need the assistance of another person during a severe low. I have hypo unawareness and have had a low of 27 and this was scary, but I immediately drank a regular cola and my blood glucose was up to 80 within 15 minutes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I give messurements I say it in mmol/l (normal is 3.3~7.3 however ~3.6 is considered a low by most doctors). So roughly multiply by 18.

I've had different kinds of lows through my experience. The lowest I was at and still withouth need of assistance was 1.9mmol/l which is about 34mg/dl.

However there were numerous comas, though not sure how many were actual hypo comas since I've had epilepsy as well.

One scary however was when I had a reall low and went to eat glucose quickly since that was the fastest thing I had. No one was at home and I sliped into a hypo coma and woke up about 10-15 minutes later with melted glucose dripping out of my mouth... Guess that was the closest I was to death not counting that time I was nearly hit by a car...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally have been rendered unconcious at least 40 times. I have been in the twenties so many times that I have no idea what that number might be. I have been to hospitals by every means possible including flight for life. I have been given enough D-50 to be a lifetime stock holder. The Drs didn't think I was going to make it the time I hit a low of 17 and didn't want to come back up. The hangover from these type of lows is horrible and takes days to recover from. If I forget to take my prednisone I will with out a doubt have a nother severe low and it could very well be my last one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts