The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two visits ago (~1yr) my endo had taken me off Januvia, Simvastatin, cut my Metformin in half to 500mg 1xdaily, and cut my Lisinopril in half to 5mg 1xdaily.
And said maybe at my next visit I may even come completely off Metformin.

Before cutting Metformin in half; my morning (aka fasting) BGs were averaging 70.
After the cut; my morning BGs are averaging 75.

Well that "next visit" was this past November.
And he didn't take me off Metformin. Of course I also did not ask about it. :(

Just today I had a visit with a new Family doc.
And she said I'm so well controlled ( My last A1c in Oct was 5.0 ) that I can stop the Metformin completely.

So I think I'm going to stop Metformin tomorrow morning and see if my numbers start to rise.

But what is the proper protocol for informing my endo ?
Should I call him now and inform him or should I surprise him at my next visit ?

Thanks,
--ET

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I don't know if there is a proper protocol for informing your Endo about the Metformin change. If I were you - I think I would wait for a little while to make sure your BG stays stable w/o the Metformin. Then if it does, you may or may not want to call the Endo office and let them know your new Family doc. took you off Metformin.

·
Registered
165 Posts
when do you see the endo again? can you call your endo and talk w/ them about this? they may not mind Or they might get ticked you and this other doc are doing things without consulting them. Great #s by the way

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am always reading about these fasting numbers that are well below 100, when mine are anywhere between 130 and 160! Arrggg!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What interests me about this, ET, is that if the new GP knows you have an endocrinologist, why is she messing around with his prescribed method of treatment? And on the very first visit too! Is she just flexing her muscles? Does it not occur to her that your control is good BECAUSE you take metformin & it increases your insulin sensitivity? I think she should be consulting WITH the endo - not countermanding his orders. JMO . . .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What interests me about this, ET, is that if the new GP knows you have an endocrinologist, why is she messing around with his prescribed method of treatment? And on the very first visit too! Is she just flexing her muscles? Does it not occur to her that your control is good BECAUSE you take metformin & it increases your insulin sensitivity? I think she should be consulting WITH the endo - not countermanding his orders. JMO . . .
Good points Shanny.
She did say a couple things that troubled me.
  1. Fastings around 100 are good enough.
  2. I don't need to test so much. Once or twice per day is all I need.
    (I average 6 times per day.)

So if it weren't for the fact that my endo had previously mentioned the possibility of me coming off metformin. I would have walked out of her office and never returned.

As it stands now. I've informed my endo via the nurses at his office.
And I decided to finish my current supply of metformin (~2 weeks remaining).
And stop after that.
If I see my numbers start to climb; then I'll go back on metformin.
And find another family doc.

Thanks everyone for replying;
--ET

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am always reading about these fasting numbers that are well below 100, when mine are anywhere between 130 and 160! Arrggg!
I was dx'd 1/7/2011, and my numbers are not too far from yours. Looking forward to lower numbers, especially fasting numbers. Thanks to low carb, my post prandial numbers don't go up too much.

Bernard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts