The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday was thanksgiving and I am interested to see what the low carbers do. I was looking over the table yesterday and it was full of carbs: potatoes, cranberry jelly, rolls, stuffing, pies and so on. The only low carb option was the turkey and green beans (if you can convince people not to make them in a casserole).

I made my own turnip "mash potatoes", spaghetti squash, and low carb dessert.

What does everyone else do? Make your own food, take the day off of low carb, or ......?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I make my own, being vegetarian, I always have.

Quorn roast with carrots, rutabagas, celery and onion, basted with olive oil, lavender and rosemary and garlic. Cauli "stuffing" casserole with fake sausage. Broccoli, steamed. Mushrooms, fresh and dried-wild mix, with shallots and paprika, stewed. Lemon-Ricotta pie for dessert. The others (husband and kids) had "real" turkey, seasoned similar to my Quorn, hold the veg. Added on store-bought dinner rolls and gooey cupcakes for the kids. YUCK.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
yesterday was just like any other thursday

·
Registered
221 Posts
I generally make my own but try to do some damage control too by portion control and sprinkling of cinnamom or stuff like that. I found a plant in this part of the country called insulin plant its also called costus pictus D.Don a plant of mexican origin. Eating 1 leaf everyday in the morning is giving good result for me and my husband too..but its sour...no other sideeffcts though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did a bit of everything. I watched my carb intake. My plate was loaded with turkey and ham.

I fell off the wagon some by having the sweet potato dish (no sugar just cheese and cream), a small amount of green bean casserole, and atablespoon of stuffing.

I brought my own dessert; the cream cheese brownie recipe from here.

I skipped the mashed potatoes, risotto and cranberry sauce.

My cousin prepared the meal and he's a professional chef. It was difficult to restrict or skip anything. I kept it to one moderate plateful.

·
Registered
556 Posts
There were about 30 here for Thanksgiving. My husband, son and I could eat the turkey, ham, deviled eggs, green beans and slaw (I made it diabetic friendly.) I made some cauliflower faux mashed potatoes and some low carb gravy and put that on a desk in a deserted room for us 3 diabetics to sneak in and get. Otherwise, the relatives would have devoured it before we got to it. So all we really missed out on is sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and stuffing. (I wonder if there is a recipe for faux cranberry sauce and faux candied sweet potatoes.) For dessert I made the pumpkin pie recipe from this site, so we managed to keep the whole meal low carb. I plan to try the cauliflower stuffing recipe someone posted, but I didn't have time to try it before Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Since there were only 6 of us, this year, I made chicken instead of turkey. I marinated boneless breasts in sour cream , lemon juice and spices overnight , then rolled them in Panko crumbs. I made rice pilaf because it was an old family recipe. I limited myself to a small portion. I made steamed green beans and added almonds browned in butter. I made a simple cranberry relish with whole cranberries, 1/2 an orange and erythitol ground up in a food processor. For appetizer I made my boys pepperoni bread which is their favorite, kind of like a calzone. I did eat a few bites, mostly the pepperoni and cheese part. I was a little higher this morning- 103, but not bad. I made sure I took a 4.5 mile walk yesterday morning and another one this morning.

·
Registered
370 Posts
We ate a normal "Thanksgiving Dinner", I just ate less of the bad stuff for a change. BS was fine this AM.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Me and My Gf Made a Crackling Roasted Pork with veggie on the side!!

Olive oil, salt and pork in over for 1.25 hours on 225 degrees C.

pic is here..
'James Tan's Photos | Facebook

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
We dont have thanksgiving in Norway, but I find it interesting reading what you eat this day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts