The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Holidays bring lots of sinful foods. I have been doing very well with my BG. I have kept it in the 80s and 90s with ocasional low 100's. I want to enjoy some of that food during the holidays. What do you recommend I do in order not to blow it completely but enjoying things? Should I walk three times a day during Thanksgiving so that I can endulge a bit? What foods are completely out of the questions. Please give advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear Cheenchie,

I hope you made it through the holidays with good BG control. It can be very tough to have good glycemic control during the winter holidays considering the nearly criminal abundance of sugary foods that are set before us. Above all else, it's important to stay goal-oriented and to always be thinking about the long-term picture. Brownies are tasty for about five minutes, but the complications secondary to poor glycemic control can have devastating and permanent effects.

Of course, most folks don't want to dwell on that type of thinking, so perhaps it's best to strike a balance during the holiday season-- stick to non-sweetened drinks and desserts. Instead of the Peppermint Bark, go for the almonds or roasted chestnuts; instead of the eggnog, try some sugarfree hot cocoa. These small substitutions can keep your mouth busy and your pancreas thankful.

Again, hope you had a great holiday!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Cheenchie,

I hope you made it through the holidays with good BG control. It can be very tough to have good glycemic control during the winter holidays considering the nearly criminal abundance of sugary foods that are set before us. Above all else, it's important to stay goal-oriented and to always be thinking about the long-term picture. Brownies are tasty for about five minutes, but the complications secondary to poor glycemic control can have devastating and permanent effects.

Of course, most folks don't want to dwell on that type of thinking, so perhaps it's best to strike a balance during the holiday season-- stick to non-sweetened drinks and desserts. Instead of the Peppermint Bark, go for the almonds or roasted chestnuts; instead of the eggnog, try some sugarfree hot cocoa. These small substitutions can keep your mouth busy and your pancreas thankful.

Again, hope you had a great holiday!
Thanks for your advice and yes I made it just fine through the holidays. I stayed away from the naughty stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts