The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Google is becoming an 'information overload' and if you want to find positve or negative answers to a question the evidence is out there in abundance. So I think i should ask you guys as more heads the merrier:

What's the verdict on honey - is it a good or bad thing for T2 peeps?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Recipes I tried lately called for 'agave nectar'. Found it in a natural health food store but it's very expen$ive. I used honey instead. It's just that my meter didn't like it too much...

:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I avoid honey and agave nectar because they are mostly fructose. Even though they don't spike you immediately they mess with your liver and cause higher insulin resistance.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I use a little honey sometimes in the food. For example when I make my sesamflarn which is only 0,8 carbo each (is flarn a word you know? it is a really thin and crispy biscuit)
In some reciepe I have to use a tiny amount of honey to get the taste and texture I`m looking for, and those tiny amount doesn`t spike me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I avoid honey and agave nectar because they are mostly fructose. Even though they don't spike you immediately they mess with your liver and cause higher insulin resistance.
Your post got my attention. Really? I read that agave nectar is the best option for diabetics, that it doesn't spike your numbers. Read agave nectar is some kind of natural Splenda or something. I never used it but I was more and more considering buying some, eventhough it's expensive. Oh my! I must find out more about it then. Thanks for your post! :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Agave nectar spikes me . . . I got all wound up about it when our RN daughter-in-law recommended it, but later determined it is mostly fructose & glucose. Composition can range from 56% to 92% fructose, and 8% to 20% glucose.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Agave nectar spikes me . . . I got all wound up about it when our RN daughter-in-law recommended it, but later determined it is mostly fructose & glucose. Composition can range from 56% to 92% fructose, and 8% to 20% glucose.
I'm so glad I read these posts before buying this expen$ive stuff!!!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Neither honey or agave nectar is safe for me. I remember reading up about agave nectar when I was initially dxed and I didn't want to believe that it was also on my taboo list so I tried it anyway and spiked like there was no tomorrow. I just found the original article I had read and can't believe I didn't heed the advice at the time. I guess, we all, at some point, want to find something....anything to replace the sugar in our lives that artificial sweeteners never seem to fully compensate for. At least that was the case for me until I got over the cravings....

here's that article:

Agave Nectar: Good or Bad? | Food Renegade

On a side note.... the Sociology dept at the university had a conference today and they had served coffee, tea and, of course, chocolate cake to the participants. This was earlier in the day and when i was leaving at 7pm, the organisers had left the remaining chocolate cake for anyone still roaming the university corridor. Like me....

There was a full tray (about forty pieces) of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and coconut flakes sprinkled on top and I WALKED RIGHT PAST! I'm either stupid or I have gotten past the sugar cravings :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well there you go. told ya it was a smart idea to check here. google was tossing up lots of positive info about honey & diabetes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well there you go. told ya it was a smart idea to check here. google was tossing up lots of positive info about honey & diabetes.
A lot of those are sponsored blurbs . . . you need to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff when you're using a search engine.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Your post got my attention. Really? I read that agave nectar is the best option for diabetics, that it doesn't spike your numbers. Read agave nectar is some kind of natural Splenda or something. I never used it but I was more and more considering buying some, eventhough it's expensive. Oh my! I must find out more about it then. Thanks for your post! :)
I fell for that, too. I think I still have 5 or 6 bottles from Costco around somewhere. Turns out, it's worse then high fructose corn syrup on steroids. For all the scary details about fructose, check out the video "Sugar, the Bitter Truth" (easily found with search).

Someone put out there that it had a low "glycemic index" and the nonsense - boosted by marketing - took off from there.

As for honey, all the science seems to be telling me it's bad, but I just find it hard to believe. I no longer use it as it is sugar. But, once in a while if I have a bad sore throat or laryngitis, I'll swallow a tablespoon of local honey just as I've always done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts