The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone here can help me. We always order a honey baked ham from the honey baked ham store for Christmas Eve. Tradition. I am planning ahead so I am prepared and know what I will be able to eat from the meal. I googled the nutritional info for honey baked ham and I am getting anywhere from 2 to 9 carbs per 3 oz. Serving. How do I know which is correct? Do you guys think this is an okay food to eat if I am eating very low carb?

Thanks!
Valerie

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hard to do, but stay away from the rind. That is where all of that crusty brown sugar resides.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
On Holidays, I give in a little. I generally keep my carbs between 10-15 but on holidays a few more carbs won't kill me. I just make sure I get some extra exercise before the meal.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just got a Smithfield ham and it said 4 carbs for 3 ounces. There is no glaze on it. Will have to remember not to nibble on it.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I have been making our families candied ham for over 10 yrs now. I use over a pound of brown sugar, lots of honey And a selection of top secret ingredients. I eat as much of this ham as I can stand, which is quite a bit. I was scared to eat it at first, but my BG behaved rather well, never go over 110-120. The best part of this ham can be found in the frying pan along with 3-4, eggs beside it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have been making our families candied ham for over 10 yrs now. I use over a pound of brown sugar, lots of honey And a selection of top secret ingredients. I eat as much of this ham as I can stand, which is quite a bit. I was scared to eat it at first, but my BG behaved rather well, never go over 110-120. The best part of this ham can be found in the frying pan along with 3-4, eggs beside it.
What do you start with, Marty, a big fresh raw ham? Do you smoke it?

·
Registered
916 Posts
surprised the heck out of me. :eek: I may get a ham now .

do tell how its made. Last time I had some it was at my DD house & she cooked it with canned cola..

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
What do you start with, Marty, a big fresh raw ham? Do you smoke it?
I like the whole Smithfield bone in hams, they do taste the best.

I bake it for 20 minutes a pound, fat side up. Half way thru I remove it from the oven and cut slices at 90 degree angles about an inch deep. In each square I push a whole clove just leaving the head showing.

The glaze is:

1/2 cup of honey

1 lb of dark brown sugar
Additonal molasses as needed for taste
1/4 cup of yellow mustard
Worchestershire sauce, splash or two
Lemon juice again a splash
Apple cider vinegar
Hot suace
I get all of that melting in sauce pan under low heat
I then add, alspice, nutmeg, cardomon, ginger, powered clove, and stir that into the sugar mix. Tasting this, it should have sweet taste and a really strong bite aftertaste, if not I will add more mustard and applecider vinegar until I get it just right.

I then take pinneapple slices and lay them all over the top of the ham using tooth picks to hold them in place on the sides. In the middle of the p. rings I put red and green Marochina cherries.

I then spoon some of the glaze on top of the ham and place it back into the oven reducing the heat to 275. About every 15-30 minutes I spoon more glaze onto the ham. When all of the glaze is gone I use a turkey baster to finsh it off.

After I take it out of the oven and while it continues to cool off the glaze will thicken and I will cintue to bast it.

You can understand why I was so hessitant about eating this, but really haven.t had much truble with this bg wise.

Enjoy

Not responsible for typos while using my new tablet.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 9 of 9 Posts