The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a Type 1.5 diabetic and have felt quite alone in this journey, and I guess tired of feeling alone in this journey, so I thought I'd try a forum. I hope to be able to share in the struggles and victories, and learn some new strategies, too. I was first diagnosed as borderline diabetic when I was eight years old. My fasting BGs were normal, but trekked into the 200s during a glucose tolerance test. The only treatment option available at the time was a diabetic diet, which I learned to stick to pretty well. In my 20s, I had gestational diabetes really bad with both pregnancies, the first resulting in a premature delivery and the second had me on insulin injections for the entire pregnancy. Fortunately, I have two healthy kids! But by the time I turned 34, I had many complications of long-term untreated diabetes; severe gum disease, recurring UTIs and other various infections, neuropathy in my hands and feet, etc. I barely weighed a hundred pounds and was constantly tired and thirsty. Oddly, my fasting BGs were 110-120 and my A1C was 6.7! I was diagnosed Type 2 and treated as such, but that didn't work. I have some rare type (not LADA, maybe MODY?). Oral meds (sulfonylureas) alone worked for several years; the infections cleared up, gum disease healed, gained some weight. Then my fasting BGs started creeping up and had to add one shot of basal insulin each day. Recently, the infections came back and my A1C reached 6.7 again, so now I also use mealtime insulin. The mealtime insulin is quite challenging. Are there any other Type 1.5s out there? Anyone else need to keep super tight control of BGs? Does anyone have suggestions for making a smooth transition to mealtime insulin? Thanks for listening 馃槉

Administrator
Welcome, Content2B! We're glad you found us here.

Yes, there are Type 1.5s in this community; I hope they'll pop in and welcome you as well. If you've looked through the forums, you've probably already seen some threads about managing T1.5. If not, a forum search (looking glass icon at the top of the page) of Type 1.5 should get them in front of you.

Many of us here keep very tight control of our BG; we find it just works better for us whatever our diabetes type is. I have no experience with mealtime insulin myself but I know we've had recent posts here about how people are managing basal and mealtime or fast-acting insulin. I hope you find those useful; if you can't find those posts, please let one of us moderators know and we should be able to help.

I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome, Content2B! We're glad you found us here.

Yes, there are Type 1.5s in this community; I hope they'll pop in and welcome you as well. If you've looked through the forums, you've probably already seen some threads about managing T1.5. If not, a forum search (looking glass icon at the top of the page) of Type 1.5 should get them in front of you.

Many of us here keep very tight control of our BG; we find it just works better for us whatever our diabetes type is. I have no experience with mealtime insulin myself but I know we've had recent posts here about how people are managing basal and mealtime or fast-acting insulin. I hope you find those useful; if you can't find those posts, please let one of us moderators know and we should be able to help.

I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you!
Thank you for the warm welcome, and for leading me to more info!

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum Content2B. I'm type 2, just on metformin, so no direct experience I can share, but I do have some questions that others may have as well.

Do you have an endo or diabetes educator, if not you probably should? How do you determine how much insulin to take, basal and bolus? If you are on a sliding scale for your bolus, mealtime, insulin you might find improvement in your BG control asking your Endo or DE about determining your correction factor (how much insulin to take to offset a high BG) and your insulin to carb ratio (how much insulin to take for the carbs in your meal). You could learn a lot about dosing insulin from a couple of highly recommended books, Using Insulin by John Walsh or Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. Maybe your local library would have them to read, they could help you better understand advice given from your diabetes medical team and arm you with some questions to ask if they don't cover something with you.. I'm assuming you are doing MDI (multiple daily injections) since you didn't mention using a pump, but if you are John Walsh also wrote a book called Pumping Insulin.

As itissteve mentioned, using the search feature of the forum could turn up some interesting reading. Several pages of threads pop up when searching MODY. That may give you some ideas of more questions to ask and hopefully answer a few questions. Again, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: etherea

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ve
Welcome to the forum Content2B. I'm type 2, just on metformin, so no direct experience I can share, but I do have some questions that others may have as well.

Do you have an endo or diabetes educator, if not you probably should? How do you determine how much insulin to take, basal and bolus? If you are on a sliding scale for your bolus, mealtime, insulin you might find improvement in your BG control asking your Endo or DE about determining your correction factor (how much insulin to take to offset a high BG) and your insulin to carb ratio (how much insulin to take for the carbs in your meal). You could learn a lot about dosing insulin from a couple of highly recommended books, Using Insulin by John Walsh or Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. Maybe your local library would have them to read, they could help you better understand advice given from your diabetes medical team and arm you with some questions to ask if they don't cover something with you.. I'm assuming you are doing MDI (multiple daily injections) since you didn't mention using a pump, but if you are John Walsh also wrote a book called Pumping Insulin.

As itissteve mentioned, using the search feature of the forum could turn up some interesting reading. Several pages of threads pop up when searching MODY. That may give you some ideas of more questions to ask and hopefully answer a few questions. Again, welcome to the forum.
Thank you, mbuster, for the welcome and the questions! I have been seeing an endocrinologist for the past 15 years. I have moved a few times, and searching for a new endo who is willing to take the time to work with an oddball like me can be challenging. I find that I often know more about my condition than they do and I have to convince them that I need tighter control than my numbers suggest. My current endo has been great with that! My greatest challenge is that my body has always made insulin, but never enough, and as I age, it makes less and less. I've been taking Januvia and bolus insulin at bedtime for the past 11 years. Bolus insulin is adjusted to accommodate my fasting BGs and I currently take 8 units. I've just added mealtime insulin at lunch and dinner because those post BGs were in the low 200s every day and I couldn't get them down. (I tried a strict keto diet, but my body rebelled. My cholesterol skyrocketed and my digestive system went haywire. I need the fiber that whole grains provide, so I quit that and went back to the Mediterranean diet I prefer). I'm trying to figure out how much mealtime insulin to take. My endo prescribed a Humalog Junior pen because I am petite and the child-size dosing by half units should help me find the sweet spot. It's still a work in progress. Right now, I'm just guessing how much insulin based on the number of carbs and I'm finding that 3-4 units will keep my posts around 180, which is better than it was. Also, no exercise within 2 hours of taking the rapid-acting insulin or my BGs will crash!
I've done some research on determining my correction factor and I'm going to work on that. Thanks for the book suggestions, I will order one or both online. I love to read and I love research! I'm confident that I will figure it out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ve

Thank you, mbuster, for the welcome and the questions! I have been seeing an endocrinologist for the past 15 years. I have moved a few times, and searching for a new endo who is willing to take the time to work with an oddball like me can be challenging. I find that I often know more about my condition than they do and I have to convince them that I need tighter control than my numbers suggest. My current endo has been great with that! My greatest challenge is that my body has always made insulin, but never enough, and as I age, it makes less and less. I've been taking Januvia and basal insulin at bedtime for the past 11 years. Basal insulin is adjusted to accommodate my fasting BGs and I currently take 8 units. I've just added mealtime insulin at lunch and dinner because those post BGs were in the low 200s every day and I couldn't get them down. (I tried a strict keto diet, but my body rebelled. My cholesterol skyrocketed and my digestive system went haywire. I need the fiber that whole grains provide, so I quit that and went back to the Mediterranean diet I prefer). I'm trying to figure out how much mealtime insulin to take. My endo prescribed a Humalog Junior pen because I am petite and the child-size dosing by half units should help me find the sweet spot. It's still a work in progress. Right now, I'm just guessing how much insulin based on the number of carbs and I'm finding that 3-4 units will keep my posts around 180, which is better than it was. Also, no exercise within 2 hours of taking the rapid-acting insulin or my BGs will crash!
I've done some research on determining my correction factor and I'm going to work on that. Thanks for the book suggestions, I will order one or both online. I love to read and I love research! I'm confident that I will figure it out.

Super Moderator
Dr. Richard Bernstein, Type 1, has a book called Diabetes Solution. Some of it is available to read on line here.

Reactions: Content2B
1 - 10 of 10 Posts