The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Some Type 1 diabetes patients could be freed from the need to take insulin after a new test is introduced.
Scotland will become the first country in the world to use the simple C-peptide blood test.
The test finds out how much insulin a patient's body is producing.
A pilot by NHS Lothian allowed people who had been taking insulin for years to stop or reduce the treatment. The test will be available from clinics from 1 November.
The test improves the accuracy of diagnosing Type 1 diabetes. It can distinguish whether a patient has Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.

·
Administrator
2,144 Posts
I wonder what the difference is if Scotland is claiming that this is the first "simple C-peptide blood test" -- unless you were part of a trial or there are different C-peptide tests and the newer one is easier to use.

·
Administrator
2,144 Posts
Thanks, manunamdev1, Hm. I would have thought Scotland had reasonably current medical practices. I wonder why this test is new to them, then?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cannot comment personally as not T1, nor in Scotland.
I merely repeated the link here as it may have been of interest to T1s and a reliable source (BBC).

Although they have to visit a clinic, perhaps they have formulated a rapid result whilst you wait.
If so, that is not clear in the article.

The more take up there is then all the better for T1 & T2 sufferers.

·
Super Moderator
10,015 Posts
C peptide test have been around for a while. It checks the protein that is associated with the production of our own insulin. Its thought to be a one for one for insulin in circulation that was produced by our body. Distinguishes between the insulin ones body makes and the insulin one injects on an insulin test.

Doesn't sound like it is new procedure. Appears the Scots are making it a part of the normal testing protocol for those diagnosed as Type 1 diabetics within the past 3 years, looking for mis-diagnosed patients. For new suspected Type 1's, C-peptide and antibody testing should help minimize the number of Type 2 mis-diagnosis'. May be a little more complicated weeding out those really type 2, is their c-peptide low because they can't make it or is their own insulin production suppressed because the exogenous insulin use is too high.

It won't allow Type 1s to quit taking insulin as implied in the quote, but the article does go on to say that those that can quit were misdiagnosed and weren't Type 1 to begin with.

There were many on this forum who used to think that all diabetics should be tested for Type 1 antibodies as well as c-peptide to help minimize misdiagnosis of either type. Won't be 100% sure thing for those Type 1's/ 1.5's in early stage (honeymoon phase) but a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
146 Posts
C peptide test have been around for a while. It checks the protein that is associated with the production of our own insulin. Its thought to be a one for one for insulin in circulation that was produced by our body. Distinguishes between the insulin ones body makes and the insulin one injects on an insulin test.

Doesn't sound like it is new procedure. Appears the Scots are making it a part of the normal testing protocol for those diagnosed as Type 1 diabetics within the past 3 years, looking for mis-diagnosed patients. For new suspected Type 1's, C-peptide and antibody testing should help minimize the number of Type 2 mis-diagnosis'. May be a little more complicated weeding out those really type 2, is their c-peptide low because they can't make it or is their own insulin production suppressed because the exogenous insulin use is too high.

It won't allow Type 1s to quit taking insulin as implied in the quote, but the article does go on to say that those that can quit were misdiagnosed and weren't Type 1 to begin with.

There were many on this forum who used to think that all diabetics should be tested for Type 1 antibodies as well as c-peptide to help minimize misdiagnosis of either type. Won't be 100% sure thing for those Type 1's/ 1.5's in early stage (honeymoon phase) but a step in the right direction.
Dr. Ken Berry suggested that we have our c-peptide tests done with our regular lab work. You have to sometimes ask your doctor to perform that test cuz maybe they don't normally do it. But I had mine done and I can't remember what it was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts