The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Type 2
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m retired and I live alone. That gives me way too much time to think about food! So I’m having a difficult time trying to lose weight right now. I’ve just joined Noom and I think it’s going to be very helpful. But I’m having trouble with low blood sugar and sticking to a low calorie diet. I find that it is very difficult to eat enough carbohydrates to keep my blood sugar on an even level without eating too many calories. It’s also difficult because my primary social activity is having lunch with friends.
I had such a positive experience when my mother was alive using the Alzheimer’s forum. I’m really hoping this group will be helpful also. I look forward to connecting with others having some of the same issues that I am.

·
Administrator
2,618 Posts
Welcome, Auntie Ann! We like to think of this as a supportive community so I think you've found the right place.

Several of us here have been on the carbohydrate roller coaster you seem to be on. What worked for many of us was going low-carb -- like under 50 grams of carbohydrates a day. The fewer carbs we take in, the less insulin our bodies have to produce to manage it (or the less medication we need to address it). That alone tends to reduce the highs and lows because our blood glucose numbers never move up that high (or low) to begin with. To meet our caloric needs, we eat additional fat and protein, which are not the horrible boogeymen many nutritionists and dietitians would like us to believe they are when you're eating proper food. So you'll find lots of references on this site to low-carb (or LC) or even keto (or ketogenic; a state the body can enter to create its own glucose for use as fuel). If this sounds interesting to you, you might want to check out the Web site bloodsugar101.com where they go into some detail about how our bodies use food as fuel.

Beyond that, we have forums here where people submit recipes, talk about how to make low-carb substitutes for favorite foods or for eating out, etc. and how to handle social occasions. Please feel free to look around and ask the questions that come up for you.

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
Hi Auntie Ann, welcome to the forum.

Low blood sugar is a subjective term, whats considered low by one may not be considered low by another. What are you calling low? I am presuming that you have a BG meter and are testing. Are you on any medications that might be causing these lows? Have you talked with your doctor in regards to low blood sugar. Reactive hypoglycemia would have roller coaster blood sugar results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts