The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm here to listen to everyone and learn what affects your lives, and what information I can provide to help you understand news and research about diabetes. For example, I recently discussed some recent research that shows breastfeeding for at least one month reduces that woman's risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life.

While I want everyone to take a look at my blog (see profile), I'm more interested to hear what you'd like to read about. Whether you're looking for something complex explained or are more interested in hearing about alternative therapies, I want to know.

Thanks for your time,
Kim (diabetesblogger)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm here to listen to everyone and learn what affects your lives, and what information I can provide to help you understand news and research about diabetes. For example, I recently discussed some recent research that shows breastfeeding for at least one month reduces that woman's risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life.

While I want everyone to take a look at my blog (see profile), I'm more interested to hear what you'd like to read about. Whether you're looking for something complex explained or are more interested in hearing about alternative therapies, I want to know.

Thanks for your time,
Kim (diabetesblogger)
Hi Kim! Do you have diabetes? What type of credentials do you have to help people with diabetes? The purpose of the forum is to provide a place for people with diabetes to come to for help and support.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kim! Do you have diabetes? What type of credentials do you have to help people with diabetes? The purpose of the forum is to provide a place for people with diabetes to come to for help and support.
First, I don't have diabetes. I wanted to help people and chose diabetes as my focus. I hold a MS in Chemistry and spent several years working as the Assistant Director of the Chemistry of Life Processes Institute at Northwestern. I'm most familiar with research being done in pancreatic islet transplantation.

I felt that I might help those that are not so science-inclined to understand current research and current news. In terms of participating in this forum, I hope to help people uncover answers to questions they might have. For example, many understand thirst/dry mouth is a symptom of diabetes, but some might wonder why this happens.

If my presence here isn't appropriate, please let me know. I would never want to intrude on a community such as this one.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
First, I don't have diabetes. I wanted to help people and chose diabetes as my focus. I hold a MS in Chemistry and spent several years working as the Assistant Director of the Chemistry of Life Processes Institute at Northwestern. I'm most familiar with research being done in pancreatic islet transplantation.

I felt that I might help those that are not so science-inclined to understand current research and current news. In terms of participating in this forum, I hope to help people uncover answers to questions they might have. For example, many understand thirst/dry mouth is a symptom of diabetes, but some might wonder why this happens.

If my presence here isn't appropriate, please let me know. I would never want to intrude on a community such as this one.
We try and welcome everyone to our diabetes community. I hope that you can help someone who may have a question about diabetes. IMO, when you actually have diabetes, you have a better understanding of what others diabetics are going through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're absolutely right, and I would never try to answer questions that are better answered by those with experience. There's a place for science and a place for the wisdom that only comes through experience.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm interested in what you have to say. I do agree, that it's hard for non-diabetics to know what we deal with on a daily basis. Some doctors don't even grasp it. But I'm always open for information on diabetes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
.........................I'm more interested to hear what you'd like to read about. Whether you're looking for something complex explained or are more interested in hearing about alternative therapies, I want to know..............
Hi Kim,

In my opinion, it would be a good thing to have a clued-up non-diabetic professional around just so long as you have something useful to contribute.

One science-based question that many Type 2 diabetics such as me are always mystified about is why the health authorities generally advise us to "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" and "eat starchy carbohydrate with every meal". That advice ensures that the condition gets worse - i.e. the inevitable "progression" that they always tell us about. Discarding that "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice leads us to improving our situation dramatically - and quickly too.

The advice wasn't always what it is today. In fact, back in 1959, the British Diabetic Association used to advise non-insulin dependent diabetics with the message - "If you do not take insulin then your carbohydrate will need to be restricted to 100 grammes a day. This is the amount the body can take without making excess sugar." That was great advice in my opinion but very different to the very poor and unhelpful messages given out today by very many healthcare professionals.

I'm always at a loss as to why that very good simple message changed and why they give us today's very poor advice. Do you have any ideas on that?

Best wishes - John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts