The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm here in an attempt to better understand my boyfriend's diabetes. He was diagnosed T2 on April 18, 2011. Since then he was tasked with learning about taking of himself while I fought with his insurance for prescription coverage (they denied test strips and glipizide). We just got his newly approved meter and strips yesterday and now I can shift focus to him.

My concern is his diet, of course. His lack of exercise has been addressed. I hope I can learn enough to help him without causing him misery... I have joked about him going vegan (my son and I are both vegan) but I know he wouldn't be happy with a sans meat meal. I'm looking forward to learning from the experiences of others and maybe I will post in the forum someday, when I feel a little more intellegent.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi black...you sound plenty intelligent and your partner is so fortunate to have someone committed to learning about his condition. Lucky him. I've just been diagnosed so don't know what I'm doing quite yet but am learning so much through the forum. Hope you find lots of answers here. Take care.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I was actually a vegetarian before diabetes and had to change my diet drastically to control bgs. I now eat meat and tons of fat to stabalize my bgs. It is not a bad diet. Lots of bacon and eggs, sausage, steak, tons of veggies. Lots of real butter, heavy cream, real sour cream. For diabetics all carbs including carbs from starchy veggies, fruits, whole grains and of course sugar, honey and other sweetners are our poison. So if you have your boyfriend start to read labels and look at the total carb line. Each one of us has different carb tolerances. In the morning I eat as few as possible, usually under 3-4 carbs. For lunch and dinner I may eat 10-15 or once in awhile 20 if my before meal number is under 90. I don't like to go much above 120 during the day, preferably less. Once he gets his meter have him test before and 2 hours after every meal so he can see how he reacts to food. It helps in the beginning to log everything that you eat, exercise, stress and bgs. This way you can fine tune what is causing high bgs. It is a lot of trial and error. Be aware that the drug he is on Glipizide is a sulfyurea drug and overstimulates the pancreas to produce insulin, sometimes too much. This causes very low bg hypos in some people and is thought to overstress beta cells sometimes. Many doctors start Type 2's off on Metformin, first because it doesn't cause bg lows or weight gain like Glipizide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I know I have a lot to learn about his meds and how they effect him as well.

He is a picky eater so this is going to be interesting. He hates fruit, isn't big on pasta but loves Chinese food. Bread will be his downfall... he's a truck driver and eats sandwiches (not keen on fastfood), tinned soups and frozen pizza. Oh yeah, my homemade chocolate cake... that's going to be a fun one to replace.

I've decided to keep him so I'll have to find a way to feed him and keep him happy and healthy. I'm sure I'll have lots questions to ask as we go.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
...He hates fruit...
Not a problem. Most fruits aren't good choices for us. Berries and Cherries in limited quantities seem to be the best.

...isn't big on pasta...
That's good, because pasta is one of the WORST things he could eat...

... but loves Chinese food...
That WILL be a problem, especially if you mean commercially prepared Chinese food. The extra sugars, breadings, etc., are a nightmare for blood glucose, as is RICE, even in the smallest quantity.

...Bread will be his downfall... he's a truck driver and eats sandwiches ...
Some of us find we can get away with 'sprouted grain' breads. But not all of us. I can only have one slice at a time, for example. There are good low-carb tortilla wraps that work for many of us for sandwiches. Mama Lupes and La Tortilla Factory are two brands that make a decent low-carb/high-fiber wrap with reasonably low carbs.

...(not keen on fastfood)...
Awesome, because it's also packed full of carbs, including waaaay more sugar than most people think.

...tinned soups and frozen pizza...
Most tinned soups are lacking protein and mostly carbohydrate. You'll have to learn to watch labels, but a home-made soup would be best. There is absolutely no diabetic-friendly frozen pizza. None. Period.

... Oh yeah, my homemade chocolate cake... that's going to be a fun one to replace.
Does he like Carrot Cake? There's a great recipe in the RECIPES section of the forum... There may be some low-carb recipes for chocolate cake available, I haven't looked much...

...I've decided to keep him so I'll have to find a way to feed him and keep him happy and healthy. I'm sure I'll have lots questions to ask as we go.
LOL, pretty nice of you to keep him... As a type II, the best things for him are:

1. Eat low-carb, and when having ANY carb items, even small amounts, learn to 'Eat to your Meter'. This means when trying new carbohydrate items, test BEFORE and 1hr and 2hrs after the meal to determine what the 'spike' in blood glucose is. Too High a spike = 'don't eat that'.

2. Daily exercise is vitally important. At least 1/2 hour a day not only burns blood glucose in the system, it improves insulin-resistance, lowers bodyfat and blood pressure, and does wonders at mood.

And :welcome: to the forums!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome and google the chocolate cake made from black beans. It's delicious and there are many versions. Everyone seems to like it! I forgot to say it's the gluten free chocolate cake and be sure to make it with sweetener of your choice.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Get him to sign up

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Blackwidow! :welcome:

You and your boyfriend will find lots of info and support here. Glad you found us.

Your boyfriend is one lucky guy!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
G

·
welcome Blackwidow :) it's great that you are being supportive. Allow your boyfriend time to figure things out for himself too. I know you mean well, but being newly diagnosed would mean a lot of emotions are being stirred up in him as well as he is in the process of coming to terms with the condition. Personally I can't stand people telling me what to do especially when they don't have the condition themselves... I'm sure you're not approaching it this way with him. Just gentle persuasion would be the way to go. Personally I do eat carbs and I eat wholegrain breads every now and then that work fine for me. If your boyfriend likes his sandwiches, he may still be able to tolerate eating just one sandwich at a time using wholegrain bread (not the wholemeal or white stuff). Every diabetic has different levels of carb tolerance as Jwags has mentioned... and that means we all eat different things really. I can't tolerate vegetable carbs very well myself. When controlling BGLs you need to look for food that encourage a normal range of BGLs consistently throughout the day without spikes and crashes. It's quite hard to do because other things impact BGLs not just food and exercise. Stress is a big BGL killer... so things like pain, illness, emotions can all raise BGLs significantly. Also lack of sleep and water can cause higher BGLs too. Look up Glycemic Index on the net as this gives you good idea about carbs and what carbs are a better choice than others. Keep us posted on how things are going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts