The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the story of a 13 year old Dutch girl, that was diagnosed T1 last October. Her doctor didn't think she had diabetes, although she had all symptoms. Her uncle, who's a type 1 too, had poked her finger several times and she had high numbers, like 200, 218. The doctor kept ignoring the problem and the little girl and her parents looked on the internet for help.

Several people advised them to go to the hospital. She finally went to the hospital, after they had asked a second opinion. In the meantime, she had a BG of 555! She had fainted several times, was thirsty, had blurry vision and visited the ladies room all the time. By the time they got to the hospital, her BG was 877 and the girl was in a diabetic coma. Her kidneys failed and she was lined up for dialysis 4 times a week...

Last week, this teenage girl died, because she wasn't diagnosed in time..

I can't believe these things still happen. It makes me really sad. This girl had a whole life ahead of her. What a horror for her family..

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sad indeed. Unbelievable in this day and age especially when she had the symptoms. I am a bit confused though. It says she was dxd. Type 1 last October. If her Dr. didn't diagnose her, then who did? That makes me Mad for a young One to go through that and then die needlessly. I hope that her Parents are suing. Thanks for mentioning it Meurtelken.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sad indeed. Unbelievable in this day and age especially when she had the symptoms. I am a bit confused though. It says she was dxd. Type 1 last October. If her Dr. didn't diagnose her, then who did? That makes me Mad for a young One to go through that and then die needlessly. I hope that her Parents are suing. Thanks for mentioning it Meurtelken.
She was DXD at the hospital, not by her own PMD...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Geez. I'm surprised that the Hospital didn't send the diagnosis report to her PMD. He couldn't disagree then. Such a simple action would have stopped a tragedy.

·
Registered
663 Posts
WOW
:(:(
:mad:

I get people on another forum who complain the symptoms that is a Type 1 as I can Deistically remember my experience to the diagnosis. And it is suffering to the extreme!!!!
Sad news indeed. I am sorry that you have experienced this as we rely on health professionals to do their job.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is truly sad and another reason that healthcare gets such a bad rep. I can't believe that in a day and age of healthcare that is available that there are still people dying from diabetes that has been left undiagnosed properly. I can understand heart attacks and strokes but for her sugars to be that high-- it is unreal that she should have had to suffer like that. Although I was misdiagnosed and many ppl wonder how I made it through those first few months being treated for the wrong thing-- I can say this -- I was very sick-- and had the classic signs-- basically my body screamed Type I-- and my doctor wouldn't listen to it. I hope that any damage that was done during that time won't effect me later down the road-- and it is sad as we lay our health in their hands and they are the ONLY ones that have the power to diagnose and treat properly. I knew I was type I but I couldn't walk into a pharmacy and buy insulin. And that is a sad day. May her family find peace.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I read and post on 8 different diabetes sites and I read this same kind of story on most of those sites. This happens in the USA too, rather frequently. So many physicians seem to be indifferent or lack knowledge about the basics when it comes to diabetes. There are also many folks who have never heard of an endocrinologist until we tell them online. They go to their regular doctor, typically a GP. So many GP's are oblivious to what diabees is all about and yet they make a diagnosis (many times the wrong one) or offer treatment anyway. It reallymakes me angry! I think I need to read the funny papers now and get this off my mind. Grrrr!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sad indeed. In the era of computer highways, anybody would really appreciate that the one person I chose as my doctor would, in some way, help me walk along this road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually the Dutch have a system quite unique - it is 100% private. Every citizen must pay for a minimum amount of coverage and then more if they see fit. Most companies pay for their employees' healthcare just as they do in the States.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is truly sad and another reason that healthcare gets such a bad rep. I can't believe that in a day and age of healthcare that is available that there are still people dying from diabetes that has been left undiagnosed properly. I can understand heart attacks and strokes but for her sugars to be that high-- it is unreal that she should have had to suffer like that. Although I was misdiagnosed and many ppl wonder how I made it through those first few months being treated for the wrong thing-- I can say this -- I was very sick-- and had the classic signs-- basically my body screamed Type I-- and my doctor wouldn't listen to it. I hope that any damage that was done during that time won't effect me later down the road-- and it is sad as we lay our health in their hands and they are the ONLY ones that have the power to diagnose and treat properly. I knew I was type I but I couldn't walk into a pharmacy and buy insulin. And that is a sad day. May her family find peace.
Unfortunately this happens more than we would like to admit. Doctors in general know little to nothing about diabetes regardless of the type. This isn't the first time I have read stories like this. It is a shame that doctors don't have more intensive training in recognizing the symptoms of diabetes and test for it more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
thats scary.my 7yr old was just diagnosed monday.I have it too.she woke up in a panic screaming she couldnt see anything.so we called the ambulance.because i told them i was a type 1 they checked her BG which just said hi on the meter.so they started treating her with insulin in the ambulance.When we got her blood work from the hospital her BS was at 831.

·
Registered
221 Posts
thats scary.my 7yr old was just diagnosed monday.I have it too.she woke up in a panic screaming she couldnt see anything.so we called the ambulance.because i told them i was a type 1 they checked her BG which just said hi on the meter.so they started treating her with insulin in the ambulance.When we got her blood work from the hospital her BS was at 831.
I am sorry to hear about your child's recent diagnosis. At the same time, your child is blest to have you because your were aware of the symptoms and able to check. Many don't know the symptoms for diabetes and doctors don't either so don't check for it. There needs to be more training done in medical schools and also encouragement for doctors to check more often when any of these symptoms arise.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I completely agree

·
Registered
930 Posts
MissMeg

MissMeg:

you misunderstand, the AMA doctors do NOT provide "healthcare", they only provide "sickcare" amounting to just covering up ( relieving ) the symptoms of sickness with patented chemicals .

but they do have some fairly good surgeons. :focus:

·
Registered
5 Posts
That certainly is a horrible story. Very sad. I can't imagine how those poor people are feeling.

Last year my wife worked for a professor and part of my wife's job was to conduct interviews with parents who's children had cancer. A lot of them said at first their doctor said it was a cold or the flu but the parents were insistent that tests were done to see what the problem was with their child. The tests would come back as positive for cancer. I'm not saying the parents were in the wrong at all in this case. That doctor should lose his license but the experts on the health of our children are us. Not a doctor. We know when something is wrong with our children. If we feel something is wrong then the time for being polite is over and demand that tests are done.

When my daughter was first diagnosed, the endocrinologist told us that over 80% of children come in a diabetic coma state. I think it's actually higher but I don't quite remember. We were very lucky in our situation because at that time we didn't have a clue as to the symptoms of type 1 but miraculously she was diagnosed early.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts