The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 55 yrs old white male. I was diagnosed with type 2 in January of this year. I'm trying to control it by diet and with metformin 1000mg, 2 x a day w/meals. I've noticed that sometimes I get hot flashes and recently have noticed that I seem to get them after consuming a meal. In the past before being diagnosed with Diabetes Doctors have tried treating me the same way and with the same drugs used to treat women during menopause with no relief. I'm wondering if this is a side effect of diabetes

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
hot flashes after eating? sounds like high blood sugar.

what are your numbers pre and 60 min-post meal?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have also experienced hot flashes after consuming a meal and I always thought it was related to perimenopause/menopause however since I have started insulin I'm not getting them as much. So with that said, it could be a sign of high blood sugar or it could be perhaps due to a liver dump? I know that mine also coincided with postprandial, so it could very well be high blood sugar or a spike occurring?

Keep us updated on what you find out with your pre and post bg's.

Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very interesting indeed! Many years ago I also got hot flushes whilst eating. At that stage I was in my early twenties and a student at varsity. One of my classmates casually remarked that hot flushes/sweating whilst eating is a warning sign of diabetes in the future. I never took it seriously and forgot about it for years, especially because the flushes disappeared after a few years. I was is in my late thirties when T2 was eventually diagnosed.

Ever since I've been pondering about his remark...perhaps I was already diabetic in my early twenties- i didn't take my friend's remark seriously at that time but I think it is worthwhile to get tested if you experience flushes whilst eating.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts